any beauty and the beast reviews yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam E. Torres, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

with monsters inc reviews coming in, and even a few attack of the clones-any reviews for beauty and the beast yet? call me geeky, but i am desperately waiting for someone to drool over this dvd and spill the beans about how beautiful it is. :b

2. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The Beast does indeed get the Beauty. No reviews as far as I can see, it's still a month away!

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Plus, Disney tends to not send out review copies very often. Oh well. If it's half as good as their SNOW WHITE set, I'm there!

4. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Yeah, this one is gonna be awesome. That rough cut footage is almost too awesome for Disney! That they put that on the DVD really is a testament to some film lovers over there. At least in the animation department.
    Actually, Disney has consistently made some good DVDs lately I think, so I guess I should be nice. Gone are the days (hopefully!) of multi-color disc art as special feature.

5. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Can't wait to hear about this review. Maybe Ron's mystery review is Beauty and the Beast?

6. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Peter Kline, Darn don't you know when to put in a spoiler tag?? You ruined this movie for me!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Well, I didn't give away ALL the plot details in the finale! [​IMG]

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

What I meant, Colin, was that they didn't like to send out review copies until right around street date. I'll be glad if this policy is changing.

10. Russell_Lengthorn

Russell_Lengthorn Auditioning

I got a very nice surprise in the post today, my Region 1 copy of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. [​IMG]
    I didn't have very long to look at the DVDs before I had to leave for work, but all the features Disney promised appeared to be there, including the three versions of the film. Now I don't know much about DVD authoring, but each version of the film was an individual title and had it's own chapter stops, so it appears that the three films have all been put separately on the disc. I only had a quick look at the films, but the quality appeared to be pretty good, with the exception of the Work in progress which was very grainy, but the faults with this appeared to lie with the original print. Finally, the trailers at the start of the disc had absolutely awful picture quality, especially the Jungle Book 2.
    Hopefully I'll have time tonight to have a good look at the DVDs and post some more comments.

11. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That is correct.

This is undoubtedly seamless branching, in order to save disk space. I hope no players have trouble with this (older ones).

13. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    There is a short review of the BATB DVD in the latest issue of Sound and Vision magazine (the one with Monsters, Inc. on the cover; BTW, it got really good marks). You could read the whole thing in a few minutes at the magazine rack for free.

14. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

15. Robert Cook

Robert Cook Stunt Coordinator

Russell_Lengthorn wrote:
    Yes, please do! [​IMG]

16. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Robert, R1s are frequently available two to three weeks before their actual US streetdate via some importers here in the UK. Some make you pay for it, others are more resonable in their prices.

Dan

17. Russell_Lengthorn

Well I did find the time to watch Beauty and the Beast last night, so now I can post some more comments. [​IMG]
    James and Neil, I guess I really proved that I don't know anything about DVD authoring, but in my defence I don't own any of the DVDs you mentioned as I have them on laserdisc. However, your posts have made me appreciate DVD even more, for a format that is now close to seven(?) years old it really does offer some useful features.
    Gordon, the trailers aren't forced as you can skip past them, but I do agree they shouldn't really be there. In two or three years time they are really going to date the DVD when I watch it.
    Robert, I use several DVD retailers and most of them send me R1 releases early and cheaper than the R2 releases as well. I will try to look at the two scenes you mention tonight, but I did check out the difference between the Special Edition and the Theatrical Edition on one scene. The Beast's wing in the scene where the Beast gives Belle the magic mirror had been cleaned up in the SE (due to the Human Again cleaning) but was still ragged in the Theatrical Edition.
    Unfortunately I don't have a DVD-ROM drive so I can't check what you suggest regarding the DVD files.
    Having watched the whole film now, I can say that the transfer is very good and the audio even better. Compared to my CAV laserdisc I noticed many details in both the picture and the sound effects which I had not noticed before. In fact not all the things I noticed were good. In the Gaston bar scene it's very noticeable now that the number of patrons in the bar changes from shot to shot, with it looking really quite empty at some points. Unfortunately I only have a cheap 32" widescreen television, so I'll have to leave the definitive transfer criticism to someone else.
    Overall I'm very pleased with the DVD as Beauty and the Beast is probably my favourite film and I can now retire my aging laserdisc.

18. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Russell,

Did you get the Canadian or US disc? Sources in the UK have the Canadian for the best price, but if it's got bilingual english/french cover art I'll have to plump for the US. If you have the Canadian and it's all fine, I'll order it this week.

Dan

19. Russell_Lengthorn

Dan,

The DVD I have has all English covers (there are two covers, one for the keepcase and then a cardboard one which the keepcase slips into), but unfortunately I don't have it with me to check if it is a Canadian or American release. If it's any use to you I ordered it for £12.99 from Fu**** En*********** which is based in the UK.

Russell

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Unless Disney gets some screeners out to the
    press soon, there will be no review here.

It's getting too close to release and
    stores are already starting to break street date.