What's new

any basia lovers here? (1 Viewer)

Salvador

Second Unit
I've known of basia since i was pretty young with such hits as 'promises' and 'time and tide'. recently, i bought her greatest hits (clear horizon) album and wow it just totally blew me away! my favorite song is definately 'go for you'. sonically, the album is well recorded and sounds amazing in my system.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The first time I heard "Time and Tide", I was enraptured, but had no idea what the name of the song was, nor the singer. Until one day I was in a cassette shop (yes, it's that long ago, isn't it?) and heard it, I quickly went to the front, where the box was on display, and once I had a track listing to refer to it was easy to figure out which song it was.

Didn't know there was a greatest hits out, I'll have to look out for it next time I'm in a CD shop. Unless this is coming out in hi-res sometime in the near future (in which case I'll wait)? Anyone know?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
You might also want to try out the albums by Matt Bianco (Basia was one of the singers in this band). They were pretty big in the UK in the early to mid-80s, but I don't know how popular they were elsewhere.

Salvador

Second Unit
basia doesn't seem to be very popular here in north america. swing out sister has a similar style as basia but i like basia more.

yeah i know about matt bianco. basia was the one singing in half a minute. the live recording of that song in her greatest hits album is amazing btw!

any other artists that are like basia? i would love to check out their albums.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
In the late 80s and early 90s, Basia was always on "heavy rotation" at the college radio station where I DJ'ed. We played Matt Bianco as well. I always wonder whatever happened to her??

Salvador

Second Unit
oh yeah, and how do you correctly pronounce her name?

is it bass as in low frequency thumping bass?
or is it bass as in the fish sea bass?

Salvador

Second Unit
"Bah-sha" is how I pronounce her name.
Cool, thanks a lot!

I just bought her live on broadway disc, and wow i'm blown away yet again. From the intro song copernicus, the album gripped me right away.

One funny thing that i really can't get over is her song "Dzien Sie Budzi". That phrase sounds like "Change your booty", kind of ruins the song for me but hey maybe i'll get used to it in time.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Man, Basia rocks! Over 30 songs on her three main releases, and not a dog among them! If some of the lyrics on Sweetest Illusion are any indication, I figured she had given up the music biz for hearth and home.

The link gives allusions to another album on the horizon, which is great! I’m dying for another CD from her. So far each of her albums have been better than the one before. I hope she can pull it off again!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, I know - I started to say, "Basia Jazzes!" But it wasn't working for me. :D

Is that's what she's "officially" classified as, jazz? I really don't see her as a jazz singer. Actually, she's so unique and versatile I've never been able to put her in a catagory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks