1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

any bad experiences with JVC speakers or recievers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'm wondering if any of you have had bad experiences with JVC recievers or speakers. I'm debating on purchasing some JVC speakers or a JVC reciever for my surround sound system
    any bad experiences that someone would like to share?
    -Keith-

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I can't speak for the receivers, but you can do much, much better speaker-wise. If you have a price range you're thinking about, post it here and filks will be able to get you the absolute best bang for your buck.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

My advice-- stay the heck away from JVC. A few friends of mine and I had JVC equipment and every single one of us had bad luck.
    Their Q.C. is not the best.
    Dan

4. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator

My wife works in the broadcast A/V world, and she affectionatly refers to JVC as "Junk Video Corporation". She has told me countless stories of DOA JVC Components and problems with them.
    Disclaimer: I personally have never owned or reviewed a JVC component, just repeating my wife's experiences.
    Easy on the flames... [​IMG]
    Joel White
    Editor CheapHomeTheater.com

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I have a JVC RX-778vbk receiver, and... stay away from JVC. Despite my insistence that the bass management is only working for the mains, JVC wouldn't do anything to repair or replace the unit. It's horrible when your center and surrounds are still producing sound down to 25hz even though you have them set to small with a crossover of 80hz. And on my particular unit, the right main sounds brighter than any other channel (and yes I've swapped speakers to make sure it's the receiver).
    My brother got a JVC home theater in a box, and he was perfectly happy with it... until he put it through some tests with Avia and saw how much of a gap there was in the mid-high and low-mid frequency ranges.
    Let's face it... There are far better options than JVC. I'm ditching my 778 in favor of an Onkyo 595.

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

JVC makes great TVs [​IMG]. There audio equipment ranked right up there with the stuff from the local dollar store. The last JVC receiver I listened to had a constant hiss coming from the surrounds.

7. muskie

muskie Agent

I have an old Dolby Pro Logic JVC Reciever at home, it still runs fine. I only ever used it for two channel sound but I've had it for over 5 years with no problems. It even got put through the ultimate torture test. Incredibly bad music taste by roommates blasted loud enough that I could here it a block away...
    [​IMG]
    Muskie
    I too saw a new I'art and it was sweet... I believe their VCR's particularly their S-VHS one are pretty well regarded.
    ------------------

8. TomH

TomH Second Unit

I have an old JVC receiver. Not bad for low end equip. However, due to bad experiences with their VCR's and poor customer service I will no longer buy their products.
    Tom

9. Matt Parsons

Matt Parsons Stunt Coordinator

I've owned a RX-884V reciever for 2 years, and it's performed well. I'm preparing to upgrade my components to a higher quality Denon 3801, and passing my RX-884 on to my brother.
    ------------------

10. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Hello Keith,
    I am a fan of JVC. I own the JVC 778V receiver, their Cinema D-series 32 inch television, the Xl-258 CD changer with optical outputs, and the DVP-721BK Progressive scan DVD player. I must say that I am quite happy with their performance. I agree with Dan that you should look elsewhere for better speakers though, as JVC aren't known for speaker quality at all. I think for the money, that JVC equipment is great, and yes, you could take Onkyo or Yamaha which are definitely better, but your wallet will certainly feel the impact.
    Reg