What's new

Any awesome VCR's on the market? (1 Viewer)

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Rachael,

What are D-Theater tapes? i.e. You recorded them yourself from some other source? You can buy commercial movies recorded in digital 480i versions?....if so, of course you can buy commercial HD-VHS movies but where in the world do you get standard definition Digital-VHS versions of movies outside the normal VHS/DVD/HD-VHS mainstream channels we're all familiar with?

By the way, I have one 480P (that's a "P" for progressively recorded on the disc) special Sony demonstration DVD. Wow ...... talk about how close 480 anything can come to 1080i HD!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Phil, D-Theater is a JVC proprietary copy protection system for D-VHS. It was developed to encourage movie studios to release their films in the high definition D-VHS format. D-VHS decks do not record in this format -- it's simply an encryption method for protected playback. Most pre-recorded tapes are encrypted in D-Theater. Any personal recordings would be in plain D-VHS. Think of it as Macrovision for D-VHS.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
And the bad news is that only a few studios are supporting D-Theater, primarily Fox, Dreamworks, Universal, Artisan, with about 70 available titles.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Phil, I'm suprised that you didn't know what D-Theater is!;) You need to see one! Have you quit reading at AVS? :)

P.S.- D-Theater = 1080i and MASTER AND COMMANDER is coming on it soon!

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Da! Da! .... It's been a long week already! I just wasn't connecting the dots today.

Of course you mean the 1080i HiDef digital movies that JVC pioneered with their new line of players starting a couple of years ago that everybody loves to hate until the real cahoona (HD-DVD) comes out! I called it "HD-VHS" above.

As you know, Widescreen Review worships D-VHS and has been all over it like a bear on honey ever since the JVC players and films were first released. I'm sitting this one out until HD-DVD gets here for my heirs to enjoy if they're lucky.

No wonder you guys like your D-VHS players and films - 1080i! Too bad there's not 7000 releases out at about a $14.95 price point!

Rachael, I guess you once considered good MUSE as "almost equal to" 1080i?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Phil, Muse for broadcast is 1035i and since I have a decoder, if somebody were to broadcast it around here, I could watch it. Of course I've only used my decoder for the Hi-Vision LD's which have a lower resolution, about 575i, depending on who you ask. I never considered Muse LD's to be anything near 1080i but the best of them look better than DVD's do.

Wait for hi-def discs if you want, but you may be waiting for a considerable, long time? IMO, there will be no hi-def discs until a fairly hefty proportion of the populace has hi-def sets. IMO, if D-VHS use escalates, that will be an indicator to the industry to get serious about prerecorded hi-def discs. So far, they have little to get serious about, apparently. Best wishes!:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mattias, try the HD recorders section at AVS. They have a European thread going. There's a service that ships to Europe that they've discovered. I think you have your purchase sent to them and they reship to you. If you can't find the thread, ask Brett. He's on it. Best wishes!:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mattias, I envy you! X0! I wish I had one for my Muse Discs. I hope you get a D-VHS. Don't blame me if your eyes pop out. Best wishes!:)

Users who are viewing this thread