What's new

Any auto repair experts? Question regarding 'check engine' light (1 Viewer)

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I have been getting the "check engine" idiot light and one tune up shop said to bring it in for a tune-up and I would probably need two 02 sensors.

A friend recommended I take it to another shop that he said was reliable and honest. They replaced the EGR valve for about $130, $20 for installation and $55 for the diagnostic. He said I didn't need a tune up or the O2 sensors (about another $130.)

I was pleased and now have a new mechanic.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Depending on your state's emissions laws, I would have said to just bypass the egr valve. Doesn't matter if it's broken if it's bypassed. :)

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Depending on your state's emissions laws, I would have said to just bypass the egr valve. Doesn't matter if it's broken if it's bypassed.
I wouldnt go that far. On older vehicles that may have been an option, but it can cause more headaches on vehicles newer than the mid 80s. The valve is designed to lower combustion chamber temperatures by allowing some of the spent exhaust gases to reenter the intake. If it is stuck open then you will have an uncontrolled vacuum leak that the ECM may not be able to compensate for (You could adjust the mix on carb madels to help) and bypassing it will have no effect. If it is stuck closed then the internal temp will get too high and detonation (spark knock) will occur. After a period of time this can do major engine damage such as burnt valves. If its bad replace it. But keep in mind that the control system for the EGR may be the colprit.

Bill

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Depending on your state's emissions laws, I would have said to just bypass the egr valve. Doesn't matter if it's broken if it's bypassed.
That is the problem. Boise lies in a valley and in winter we get inversions. As a result we are required annually to get an emmissions test.

Plus all that Bill said

DavidY

Supporting Actor
I have a similar truck, a 1996 Mazda B3000 extended cab. For the past 2.5 years that I have owned it, the CE light has come on several times (different codes most of the time). Usually the mechanic checks the code and then clears it....they may clean it or make some other adjustment. If the same code comes up again, they would probably have replace the sensor/part that is related the code in question.

Dave

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have had a similar problem. My '98 Accord V6's EGR valve was getting stuck. The dealer replaced it under warranty (56,000 KM). I was told that another sensor was giving odd readings, even though there appeared to be nothing wrong. They reset it and told me to come back right away if the CE light goes on again.
Emissions are a big pain in the ass nowadays. I hope I didn't kill too many trees while I drove with that light on. :)
Oh, when the light was on, the car had a definite loss of power. Probably the engine software compensating for whatever the hell the problem was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laptiva
Recent bookmarks