Any AudioControl PCA Owners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank D, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Frank D

Frank D Auditioning

I recently purchased an AudioControl PCA (original not 3)without the users manual. Does anyone know how to adjust the crossover freq or where I can find the manual online?

Thanks

Frank

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Frank: I owned a Rialto and in the car arena a bunch of EQTs and a few 24xs crossovers and in all of those units, fixed crossovers were assigned by buying or building crossover modules for those certain frequencies. That said, I am not familiar with the Phase Coupled Activator so I can't help you specifically with that item. If you don't get an answer, I'd recommend that you call AudioControl themselves. BTW, the modules are less than $20 each.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Frank,
    John’s assumption is correct, the PCA uses plug-in modules just like AudioControl’s car crossovers. While the modules do indeed cost about $20, if you can solder you can make your own for only a buck or two.
    You might check AudioControl’s web site for an on-line model, but since the PCA has been discontinued, I’ll be surprised if you can find it there. Your best bet will probably be to e-mail of call for one.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

I once owned an original PCA, and I have owned many different AudioControl car audio processors. The original PCA uses the same 18 dB/oct crossover modules as the 2XS, 4XS, and EQX from their car audio line. The tech note on building your own crossover chips is located here:
    http://www.audiocontrol.com/techpapers/tech1005.pdf
    I hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. John H

John H Second Unit

I own 3 Audio Control PCA Series Three units.
    The PCA Series Three comes with a programable 24dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley crossover. It is preset at the factory at 90Hz.
    The frequency is changed by removing the top and replacing the plug in resistor module.
    As suggested contact Audio Control for replacement modules or information on builing your own.
    The Series Three has 2 plug in modules. 1 is a crossover frequency module the other is a subsonic filter module. If they are factory modules they will have the Hz value stamped on them.
    John

6. Frank D

Frank D Auditioning

Thanks for the all of the great responses!

I think I'll try to make a module myself, doesn't look too hard.

7. John H

John H Second Unit

Frank,
    When picking up your crossover module hardware you might consider building a new subsonic filter module also depending on your needs.
    The PCA III uses a factory preset subsonic filter of 25Hz 18dB/octave. I have changed mine to roll of at 15Hz.
    8Hz on the unit I use on my tactile transducers.
    The subsonic synthesizer uses a frequency sampling range of 70-35Hz when the "range" button is depressed for 35-17½Hz generated subharmonics. I believe when the "range" button is in the out position the sampling range is 100-50Hz.
    I am just curious. Will you be using your PCA in a HT application?
    John

8. Frank D

Frank D Auditioning

John,

Yes, the PCA is being used in my HT, the way I currently have it hooked up is LFE>PCA>ART 351 EQ>AMP>SUB. The sub is a 15" Tempest DIY Sonosub, I am very pleased with the results especially for TV broadcasts.

I would also like to lower the subsonic filter but I don't think I can with my model, however, I have run frequency sweeps to 15Hz and there is very little dropoff.

Thanks

Frank