What's new

Any audience for Oscar telecast DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Living away from the U.S., I've had to miss the Academy Award ceremonies the past two years. I hate to miss out on them, even if they are long and often dull. Being a Lord of the Rings fan, I'd especially like a DVD of this year's ceremony, if it was reasonably priced. Do you think anyone would buy such a disc, besides me? They have DVDs for the Super Bowl, so why not the Oscars?

I also rented a video of Oscar highlights at my library a long time ago. That's something I'd like to see, too. The one that I saw was a little too classy, though. I'd like one that included highlights and lowlights (the Rob Lowe/Snow White duet, among others would be good).

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
A highlight DVD would be interesting. There's some memorable moments such as Charlie Chaplin's appearance for his lifetime achievement award, the naked streaker, Marlon Brando's REJECTION of the Oscar among others. It would make for a fun DVD.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I would love to see the Oscars on DVD. Not entire shows but best ofs. They could fill several DVDs with funny and moving moments.

Jimmy Durante and Martha Raye presenting the award for best foreign film comes to mind. Do you remember the time Charlton Heston was the host and had a flat tire and the producers shanghaied a very nervous Clint Eastwood to take over at the last moment?

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Yeah, I don't see anyone sitting around saying

"Man, I wish I had the 1984 Oscar telecast lying around to watch! I just have *nothing* to do!"

Best ofs, maybe. I doubt I'd be inclined to watch that, even.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
I would actually love to have them all, if they were availble complete by year I would purchase every one I could afford.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I was thinkinh something similar to this last night.
A collection of all of billy Crystal's (and others I guess) opening segments with the song and seeing him in various clips. These sequences are always entertaining. I wouldn't mind some best of moments though....
I certainly wouldn't want the entire telecast...

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Actually, there already is such a thing, but it only covers the first 50 years. Naturally, it does not contain the complete telecasts, but just best of moments with background info. I have no idea if its good or not, I've just seen it on the library shelf. It's titled 'Academy Awards: the first 50 years" or some such, and is 3 discs.

Mike Ackerman

Auditioning
Why didn't you set your VCR? According to Yahoo, it was on BBC1 from 1:00 AM 'till 5:00 AM. (Man I love the internet. Find out what's on TV anywhere in the world.)

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I maybe the odd man out but I would buy a complete telecast of each Oscar show on DVD. I'm a huge fan and it would be fun and exciting to relive those past Oscar moments.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I would too, especially all those Bob Hope and Johnny Carson years.

I don't base my Oscar enjoyment around who wins, per se, but what they have to say, how good any performances are, how funny the show is, and how many inspired moments there are. The high tension often makes for good drama IMO. Even on sure things you know that the winners are still nervous that something will go wrong just before their name is read.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy Oscar DVDs! I'd love to have all the funny jokes, moving acceptance speeches, tributes to deceased & living legends, and live music performances, available to watch any time.

Especially interested in seeing the telecasts that were before my time...and some I remember watching in my childhood. The last few years have been disappointing. I feel that hardly anybody deserving, wins anymore.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
If they put out another great moments package though, then this time please spare us the sight of Burt Lancaster singing "Thank You Very Much" in Italian (1970-71). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks