Any Arcade Game Collectors here?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Apr 13, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Just curious if I'm the only one [​IMG].

Right now, I have four Jamma Boards for it, Simpsons, TMNT 1, TMNT 2, and a non working Real Ghostbusters board. I'm also waiting for my new Jamma connector to come in so I can re-wire this cabinet the proper way.

After that's done, we'll be constructing a brand new 4 player cabinet, that can house a 25" monitor instead of a 15" one...

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

TMNT? Bah, I'm into the classics. I've got a Donkey Kong which I've had since 1988, got it from my uncle for practically nothing. He got it from a friend who leased games on the University of CA, Chico campus, and it had taken sort of a beating. The game works fine though the monitor takes a while to warm up, but the pexiglass in front was gone. When I got a job at a movie theater a few years later there was someone who serviced the video games there and he sold me the pexiglass with the artwork on it. The side decals are about half torn-off; I've seen reprints of them for sale on Ebay but haven't sprung for them yet. Don't know where I'll be able to get a new monitor if the one in there now dies. I'd started a coin collection in it, putting in 1 quarter for every year, but a time came when I was really poor so I ended up having to spend them!
    I want some more of the classics like Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and maybe a pinball machine, but I'm in an apartment so I don't have unlimited space.
    Is it easy to change the games in the newer machines? I know a lot of Donkey Kongs were later converted to Donkey Kong Jr. using the same cabinet, monitor and controls, but I don't know if I could buy the parts and switch them back and forth easily- I want to keep the game as close to its original condition as possible. Back then they had some games known as "conversion kits" that were exclusively available for installing in older games- "Mr. Do!" was one of the more popular of those.
    There was a brief laserdisc craze in 1983-84 where arcade games would have live-action or animated video played from an LD, sometimes with overlayed graphics- most famous was Dragon's Lair where you had to guess the correct moves to get the disc to play through each level. The discs from that go for ridiculous prices but I've got a disc from a similar game "Cliff Hanger", which is actually animation from Castle of Castilogro (probably didn't spell that right.) I should probably get some more arcade game LDs from Ebay while they're still showing up there, though I'll probably never be able to use them in an actual game, just watch them on my TV.
    Being a CED videodisc collector I have a disc from the one arcade game that used a CED player in 1984, NFL Football- the disc has clips from football games; I don't know exactly how the game was played. An arcade I went to had it but I never saw anyone actually play it. The disc isn't in the greatest condition since CEDs are played with a stylus, and the players ran all day.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Sounds like fun but if you ever go HTPC you'll probably be using MAME more [​IMG] Cheaper too! I almost bought a KI 1 jamma after I couldn't find a MAME version of it. The arcade version was the best and it wasn't out in a comparable form on console. Luckily I saved some cash and found the U64 emu. And yes I also have it on SNES.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

What sort of computer do you need to use MAME? I'm completely computer illiterate, but sounds like something I'd love if I knew how to do it. There is something about having the real thing though.

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Jesse, you have a PM.

6. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

7. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

I've got 4 of em (in order of purchase):
    Capcom Black Tiger
    Donkey Kong 3
    Magical Spot (think Galaga, but with pimped out artwork with naked ladies)
    Sega Prop Cycle

I got them all for a steal, but Prop Cycle is so freaking huge (and heavy) that is stuck in the garage, never to move again until I sell it.

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I've wanted to buy an original "Spy Hunter" sit-down arcade game for a long time, but my wallet has other priorities... like DVD's!

Matt