Any apartment dwellers viewing HDTV right now???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Trueh, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Jonathan Trueh

My concern is being able to receive a signal. The area I live in is pretty flat. No tall buildings or structures. I've got some tall trees around the complex but the wooded area isn't really that heavy.
    I'd like to hear from you apartment dwellers about the HD reception in your areas. I'm kinda smack in the middle of Baltimore and DC so I have a variety of HD channels to choose from.
    ------------------
    My System:
    Mains-PSB 6T
    Center-PSB 9C
    Surrounds-Rock Solids
    Sub-Klipsch KSW-15
    Receiver-Sony STR-DE825
    DVD Player-Sony DVP 550D

2. Jeff J

Jeff J Extra

Yep. I have a radio shack vu-90xr outdoor antenna (which might me a little overkill) in a closet that is hooked up to a dtc-100. I am in a three flat with a lot of trees and other 3-4 story buildings around.
    Usually, I can pick up all but one of the digital channels in chicago (at 70+ signal strength) without having to move the antenna around. The one station that is transmitted from a different general location than the others required a quick adjustment of where the antenna is pointing. it seems that digital signal is highly directional – small changes in orientation can make a huge differences in signal strength.
    You might want to see if you could pick a stb from a place with a 30 return policy or maybe let you test a display model over the weekend.
    -jeff

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I just finished getting my Dish 6000 unit setup in my new apartment. I was living only 5-10 miles or so from the transmission towers and could get great reception on every channel (although I did have some multipath issues) with an indoor antenna. I now live around 30-35 miles from the towers and can still get every channel but the signal strengths on the one VHF station is a little weak. My apartment is in the middle of the complex with 2-3 story buildings all around me (plus I live on the ground floor), but I haven't had any real problems. A good rule of thumb is that if you can get the regular SD stations with some reasonable amount of clarity you should be good to receive the HD stations. Chris
    ------------------
    Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net

4. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Yes, I live in an apartment, and receive HDTV via an XBR400 tv, and using my apartment's ancient antenna on top of the buliding. I just use it for over the air stuff, but being that I'm in Oakland, the choices in OTA HDTV are about the best in the country.
    Reception is great, and being that every apartment is patched into that cheesy roof top antenna, I can't complain. Things are good, and no major antenna related costs/hook ups were required. DirectTV would be a major problem though. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]