Any amps with anti-clip circuitry for LT use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VinhT, Oct 2, 2002.

1. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Feb 14, 2002
    Is there anything similar to the type the Velodyne HGS series uses? It simply limits low-end output when there isn't enough power.

I'm hoping to do a LT sub using the Tumult. Instead of designing the Q of the system to be within the capabilities of normal amps, I'd prefer maximum flat extension. At lower volumes, it'd perform as designed, but when pushed too far, the amp could protect itself and the driver by simply toning down the subsonic frequencies.
  2. I'll have to ask a friend to see if he can design a circuit for that.
    For me, I worry more about the driver over exerting than the amp. It all depends on what you have though [​IMG]
  3. BrendanL

BrendanL Agent

Jan 23, 2002
    I have a Crown ce-2000 with dancing lights that indicate clipping. I don't think it lowers the ouput until it is forced to shut off. This is from their website:
    Signal: A green LED for each channel which flashes when a very low-level signal (>–40 dBm) is present at input. May be used for troubleshooting cable runs.
    Clip: A red LED for each channel which turns on when distortion becomes audible in the amplifier output. Normally off, this red indicator will blink under five different conditions:
    1. When the amplifier is first powered up, until the unit is ready for operation
    2. If the heatsinks reach a temperature above normal working limits.
    3. If the transformer thermal protection circuit is activated.
    4. If amplifier output wires develop a short-circuit.
    5. Should the amplifier output stage become non-operational.
    This circuit may be monitored remotely by plugging a simple switching circuit using an LED or other signaling device into the back-panel RJ-11 (Fault) jack. Under some conditions, the output of the amplifier will be muted.