What's new

any affordable dvd-audio or sacd dvd player with bass managment? (1 Viewer)

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to go with a budget mp3 dvd player, but now I am considering one that supports a high resolution format such as dvd-audio or sacd. The problem is that I will need one that has bass managment because none of my speakers can go lower than 50hz. Any suggestions?

Westly T

Second Unit
I think the JVC XV-SA70BK, XV-SA75GD, XV-FA90BK, XV-FA95GD have basic bass management. I don't have one but did look through the menu once and it seems to have it. I don't think it gives many options, and I think the point where bass is redirected is fixed, you can only turn it on or off (Small or large speaker setting for each set).

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
i just found out about the Sony DVP NS500V DVD. My question is if it has sacd bass management and if so how flexible is it. I read one review on cnet stating that it does not have sacd bass management, yet users on audioreview say that it does...

the jvc look good if they have dvd-audio bass management.

Westly T

Second Unit
If you go with a DVD-A/DVD-V you can easily get a SACD-CD player, but if you get a DVD-V/SACD I think you will have a hard time finding a DVD-A as easily and cheaply as a second component.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Westly,

The JVC players you cited don't have bass management for DVD-Audio, only for DD and DTS.

Regards,

Westly T

Second Unit
Wow, what a deceptive menu! Is the only way to find out to buy it and test it or talk to someone who has?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Westly said:

but if you get a DVD-V/SACD I think you will have a hard time finding a DVD-A as easily and cheaply as a second component.
Not true. There are a number of DVD-Audio players available now for $300 or less. Case in point, the Toshiba SD-4700 and '5700 (typically $250 and $300, respectively), JVC XV-SA70BK/SA75GD ($250), and Panasonic DVD-RA60 ($200).

Konrad,

All of Sony's multi-channel SACD players allow you to choose from about six speaker configurations (large or small, center channel or no center channel, subwoofer or no subwoofer). However, they do not allow you dial in the crossover frequency. It has been said by some that the crossover frequency for these players is fixed at 120 Hz, which is ridiculous.

Westly T

Second Unit
Ok, does anyone have a list of DVD-A players that do have bass management?

So far I've found 2:

Denon DVD-9000 ~$3500 • Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio, featuring Analog Devices 32-bit processor; 80Hz crossover with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time(0-15ms)

Denon DVD-1600 ~$500 • DVD-Audio with Bass Management, 100Hz crossover point

Any others??

The Sony 500V DVD-v/SACD player's bass management doesn't seem to work properly. In 2-channel SACD mode, it appears to remove the bass from the main channels, but doesn't re-route it to the sub. In multi-channel SACD mode, some bass comes out of the sub, but it is unclear to me whether it is the bass from the 6th channel or redirected bass from the other 5 channels.

For the reasons stated above, I returned it to my local Best Buy. The upcoming 755 (supposedly due in June) is rumored to resolve this issue.

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks