What's new

Any AE100 owners on this Forum? (1 Viewer)

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
What type of screen are people using? I believe from what I've read a grey screen works best but that RitzAV is recommending a matte white one.

Would it be worth feeding a HD signal into it? Has anybody done it? I'm assuming a HTPC would be required?

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
I believe from what I've read a grey screen works best......
I personally would not use the grey screen with the AE100- I agree with Ritz. The very best way IMO to improve color and black levels is the Hoya FL-Day filter- much less expensive, too.

Andrew B.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The reason for recommending a matte white screen for a digital projector is to compensate for low lumen output for the desired screen size.

At the current stage of development, digital projectors simply cannot match the inky blacks of CRT projectors, not even the 1800:1 on/off contrast of the HP XB31. All will benefit from the perceived contrast improvement of black screens.

After you choose your projector (AE100 in this case), and screen size, figure out the grayest screen you can buy and still maintain sufficient illumination (16 plus or minus 2 ft-lamberts according to THX specs, 12 ft-lumens being an absolute minimum according to conventional wisdom).

Eujin

Supporting Actor
It sounds like a lot of the questions in this thread are coming from potential first-time front projection owners. If you are, indeed, a newbie and considering the AE100, it's probably best if you can track down a HTF member in your area who has one and go take a look for yourselves. One thing you have to remember at this price point for an LCD projector is the screendoor issue--it can be addressed to some extent by defocussing, using the Hoya filter, specific screen type/color, etc. but a lot depends on individual sensitivity and eventual placement and seating position in your room. Also, you need to figure out if regular cable or satellite viewing is acceptable to you on this pj (it wasn't for me) if you're going to be using it as the one and only display device for all your viewing needs.

Also, if you're just starting out, it might be best if you take everything incrementally. For example, if you have a suitably-sized blank wall that you intend to hang a screen on, just use that to project on to initially (provided it's white or some variation there of). The reason for this is because optimal screen size is going to depend on placement of the pj--the last thing you want to do is buy or build a screen that ends up a little too big or too small. As for transcoders and the like, the component inputs on the AE100 are OK when fed by a progressive source. A transcoder will doubtless improve the picture, but as a starting point, the component input is fine.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the demo. I saw an AE100 in person and the setup was well done. A high-gain screen (1.3) but the projector had a lens filter and the ae100 was defocused with the dvd player running through the VGA port. It looked great. I saw some screen door from 1.25 x screen width, and not all the time either. My thoughts were, I am willing to sit farther back, even if it means up to 2.5 x screen width or have a smaller screen in order to eliminate screen door. As it was, it looked amazing to me. I hope to eventually get one of these things and may actually replace my TV. I am employment and dollar challenged at this time, so it's going to be a while :)

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Eujin, you're right, I would love a demo, any body in Philly area? I would not be considering buying one without seeing it first if the investment was higher. From all I've read I THINK I know what I'm getting into. I had originally planned to buy a RPTV, but I'm moving into a house with a decent space for a FP so I figured hey why not go for it. I plan on putting in the effort to tweak it. And while I would like to watch TV shows on it, I do plan on having my 32" Sony in the room for casual viewing. I know the max screen size I can do is 92" wide because of the shape of the room. And there isn't a wall to just test it on because I plan on putting the screen in front of a small window. Is it possible to project on a thick taught bed sheet or would that just be pointless?

thanks

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Is it possible to project on a thick taught bed sheet or would that just be pointless?
A plain bedsheet would not be good- it allows too much light to pass through. What will work VERY well, though, perhaps as well as a lot of more expensive screen material, is drapery blackout fabric. You can get it at most interior decoration stores, like JoAnns Etc.

Cheers

Andrew B.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
You can order some Parkland Plastics 4x8' or 5x10' for use. They're reasonably inexpensive (less than 50 clams). Just cut to the size you want to use and create a border.

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
I saw this projector on the AVRITZ site and it states that is won't do 1080i...only 480p EDTV compatable. Is that true?

Randy

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Randy, what you read is true. The AE100's native resolution will not allow it to display 1080i as 1080i--it will have to scale down in order to display it, BUT it will display it and it will still look good. Not as good as a pj that will natively display 1080i, but that's the trade-off for many of us AE100 fans. Personally, I'd love to get HD reception, but there's just not enough material out there for me to justify it. I figure I'll wait it out a bit longer and get another projector later--I never keep anything for more than a year anyway. In the meanwhile, 480p on an 8-foot widescreen is pretty sweet.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
...and if I could afford a screen that is accoustically transparent, I would already have an ae100 or an even more expensive projector. The only way I could afford an acoustically transparent screen is if I found a movie theatre that had a damaged screen they were disarding and I'd take a peice of it?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone actually own an acoustically transparent screen? Did you get it brand new? How much did it cost?

TimG

Second Unit
Chris, the problem with using a screen from a movie theatre is that the holes are too big, they won't work. Also there is the problem with the screen holes in that if they are not spaced right they will create a "moire" pattern which looks like crap. Placing the center channel above or below the screen doesn't effect the sound as much as one would expect. Finally, I wouldn't worry about a perf screen personally, unless you have the funds to. Don't know actual prices on them, but they are definetely more expensive.

Tim

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Also, I was thinking of using a pair of bookshelfs like PSB Image 2B's above and below the screen (one above and the other below, on center), instead of a single PSB Image 9C speaker (which I have). That way the sound should be anchored to the center of the screen after SPL matching. Since I have a pair of 2B's as rear surrounds, I will try this as an experiment. I think its a good option since a pair of 2B's cost the same as a single 9C. A 9C above and below would kick ass but cost lots. The only problem I would have is deciding whether to run the 2B's series (resulting in 12 ohms) or use an outboard stereo amp. Parallel is not an option (3 ohms!).
thanks for the advice :)

TimG

Second Unit
From what I understand, it is pretty pointless to use one speaker above and one below. I personally don't notice that mine is above my screen. We use it even when watching our tv and you can't tell that the sound is not coming from the tv, even though the tv and speaker are separated by about 6 feet. I would opt for the single 9c above or below, but feel free to experiment.

Tim

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I guess my idea of placing a center speaker above and a center speaker below is not well thought of. Thats ok. I have never had a major problem with my center channel the way it is, so I imagine its ok and will be fine for a screen and front PJ. I just thought if I had to push my center speaker higher than it already is, it would be kinda crummy.
Hey Trevor, one day I may join the ae100 ranks. Hopefully one day soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks