Any advice on using DRV and CUT controls?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony_Pat, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

I've started tweaking my Sony 32FV27 set. First, let me assure everyone that the first thing I did was to write down the values of every single service code (I've done this kind of thing before.) I disabled red push, but now here's the dilemma. I used the blue bars in Avia to set the Tint, and wound up adjusting the Color (as suggested in Avia)to set the Red. But this resulted in a picture that overall was too saturated, and really the red - and the green - were not perfect. I think the right way to go is to turn off two guns at a time and use the corresponding color bar display to set the remaining color. This means I'd have to use that color's Drive and Cut codes.

So are there dos and don'ts for playing with color drive and cut? Should I start by assuming that I will not touch the Cut numbers? Is it possible to overdrive a color gun? How do Drive and Cut relate to each other?

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I would answer inside this thread, but this demonstrates an oft repeated misunderstanding which keeps popping up again and again. I'm posting in a separate thread because I really want DIY calibrators to avoid this pitfall.
    Please see....
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=57787