any advantage to progressive in s-video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike X, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Mike X

Mike X Stunt Coordinator

I am a non-HDTV owner. I have a Panny CP72 on order from J&R, but it will probably be at least a year before I upgrade my monitor to HD...am I getting any advantage of the 72 in S-Video over a non-prog player?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No.

1. Progressive output cannot be transferred through an S-video connection. S-video is strictly interlaced.

2. If your TV is non-HD, it's very unlikely that it could display a progressive signal. If the TV lacks component inputs (as appears to be the case), then it certainly cannot do better than 480i.

M.

3. Mike X

Mike X Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the quick reply Michael, I think my question was phrased incorrectly. I understand that I cannot get a progressive signal without component hook ups. However, I have heard so many on these forums rave about the pq of the cp72. Does anyone have any experience with the non-prog pq of the 72? Can I expect an upgrade from my current player (cheap Mintek)?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Yes, that'a different question altogether.
    I don't have any experience with either model, but I have a hard time believing the Panasonic won't be an improvement. How much of an improvement will depend on the quality of the display device and your own personal tastes.
    Also, I assume your TV is 4:3. Panasonics do a particularly good job at downconverting anamorphic DVDs for 4:3 displays. (Of course, for all I know, so does Mintek! [​IMG] )
    M.