Any Advantage to HTPC if You Don't Have A Projector?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Before I write this, let me preface by saying I am a complete newbie when it comes to this sort of stuff, and have no idea what I'm talking about.

I've been seriously thinking about just seeing what my PC DVD player would look like on my TV, but know it will be a bit of trouble to move it from it's current position. I guess I'm wondering, is there any use in using your PC DVD player if you don't have a projector?

I know all about how the PC has a good line-doubler, but that's of no use to me. It can do anamorphic, which is one plus, but I don't like using a window. Is it progressive scan? I know some have said that it's region free (is this true)-but importantly, can it do PAL to NTSC? Are there any other options for connection besides S Video? I'd be interested to see if there was a connection for RGB cables.

Thanks for all help, and once again, please forgive my ignorance.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You can buy a converter box for VGA to component or RGB.

PCs are easily regions hackable, do PAL to NTSC, and you can use DVDSubber to open up the world of foreign film to you in a way no set top box can.

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

What is DVDsubber?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It let's you use any formatted and timed script to add subtitles to any DVD. Say you want Brotherhood of the Wolf now, but the French DVD has no subtitles. Crank up DVD subber, load your script, and watch your movie.

5. Thane

Thane Stunt Coordinator

Jeff: Where can these timed scripts be found? Are they on the DVD itself, or are they something to be downloaded from the internet? If they are downloads from the internet, where can they be found? Thanks!