What's new

Any Adcom Amp owners out there? (1 Viewer)

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
My question is:

Does everyones amp make these (what sounds like) speaker damaging thumps and pops when the house current goes on/off/on?

I'd like to stop this from happening and the only way I know how is to install a speaker protector w/ a 2-3sec. delay between the amp and speaker. I bought one years ago from a co. (Mark 5 electronics) I think was in Calif. Anyhow I can't find thier number anywhere. It was a circuit board w/ a relay and other components, and it blocked DC from getting to the speaker. It also opened the relay when 115V was lost, when 115V was restored it had a 2sec. delay and there were no pops. I still have the original but it's only for a pair of speakers. Can't seem to find this gadget on the net anywhere, hec, it only cost $15 or so dollars and now that I have a 7000 5ch. amp I need 3 of em'.

When this popping happens my wife just looks at me as if to say, "You paid money for this junk?" She never heard the 555 do this because of the protector.

Sure would like to find these things, any ideas?
All I know to do is take the other one apart and duplicate it, but I don't have time for this. I'm not skilled in electronics, if it were a car I'd be OK. :)

Meaux
Foley, Al.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Meaux,

It seems to me you limited the number of possible responses with your title. Your question (about turn-on transients) really isn’t specific to Adcom amps.

I’ll bet a lot of people would love to find a turn-on delay for $15! The only ones I know of come built-in to line conditioners like Panamax. Adcom’s ACE model conditioners also have delayed switching, I think, but they cost considerably more than $15. If you can't find your other gizmo, this may be your only choice (you don't need three of them).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Well Heck Wayne,
Judging from your equip. list, you're havin fun. :)

Yea, I guess most hi-pwr. amps do the same thing. I called Adcom service and the tech. said the pops and thuds wouldn't hurt anything and it's a common thing. A few years back I had to have my sub inside a JBL L-7 reconed because the coil fried, and that's when I found the speaker protector, I thought it was because of the old Phase Linear 400 popping.
I lost the co.'s number during my move from Houston to Foley Al. last year.

I guess I'l have to make time a duplicate the thing.

Thanks,
Meaux

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have 4 GFA-535's and I also get a 'thump' when turning on the amps, although it is not loud, but I also get mild 'pops' when changing between chapters on dvds or tracks on CDs. I also get it during the layer change on DVDs.
I called Adcom and they said it is most likely my DVD player or my Marantz receiver (using it as a pre/pro). I did not notice this before I added the Adcoms. He said that most likely the mute circuit is being bypassed now that I am using the pre-outs on my Marantz and that the 'pop' sound is happening during loss of audio signal during chapter breaks and such.
The 'pop' is not too bad, but I would like to find a way, if possible, to quell it. The funny thing is the 'fart' noise they make when I shut them down.
Peace Out~:D

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
>The funny thing is the 'fart' noise they make when I shut them down.

Yeah, that's right. I leave my amps on all the time for that reason, I just turn off the pre-amp at night.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I lost the co.'s number during my move from Houston to Foley Al. last year.
That’s not all you lost, Meaux. You also lost the crime, the traffic, the high insurance rates, the high property taxes, etc. Congratulations on your relocation! And good luck getting some delay back in your system.

By the way, I have two of the older Adcom ACE-515's and have been happy with them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
>That’s not all you lost, Meaux. You also lost the crime, the traffic, the high insurance rates, the high property taxes, etc. Congratulations on your relocation!

My wife said last night, "Let's go down to the beach and get some fried shrimp", me, still in Houston mode said "What? fight that traffic? it's too lste for that!" (4:30pm) So 15min. later I'm sippin on a cold Corona, ordering a large plate of fried shrimp, on a pier restrant, overlookin all the cuties on the beach.

While we were eating she brought up all the other towns/cities and we agreeded that for large cities Houston wasn't that bad, when you think about Boston, NYC, LA, and so on.

Taxes, ($2600 to $600 per yr.), potholes, freeways, traffic, people, sorry schools, are just a memory now. I have trouble driving the 5 cars over here though, the cops (if they don't know you) will still pull you over if you're driving a Porsche, but they end up talkin bout the car, and give you a warning.

With the Internet I can still buy anything I want, so, who needs a big city.

I hope Katy isn't gettin to populated, Seems Houston was moving NW.

Time to build a workbench, and get lectical!

See Ya,
Meaux

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks