What's new

Any Acurus AT-3ABM users out here? (1 Viewer)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Can I have your thoughts on the prepro? Does it have any quirks?

I'm ready to step to seperates and this is one of the possiblities.

TIA

Earle

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Earle-

yup...I have/had a ACT-3ABM. I only had it a few days before I had to send it back to Klipsch for some Warrenty work. The unit was having trouble locking onto DTS & DD signals. But I can tell you my initial impressions of it. I had a Denon 3801 and i really liked it. When I installed the ACT3, the clarity greatly increased when listening to stereo and DD/DTS (when it locked onto the signal). Since the purchase was unexpected, I was using the "Ext In" of the Denon to use its amps. Even with this configurations, the change was dramatic. I didn't get a whole lot of time to listen, but it is not as "warm" as the Denon and some CDs were rather sharp sounding. (Please note, that i have Klipsch speakers that people complain are too "bright", but I like that live, dynamic sound) It would probably just take me time to acclimate to the newer sound. The only problem i have had is that when i switch sources, a "pop" sound from my Sub is heard. I believe this is a problem with most ACT-3s. Also, when using the remote, you HAVE to switch the remote to the Pre/Pro source to adjust the volume of the ACT-3. Which is VERY annoying when controlling the VCR, TV, or DVD!

Hope this helps....

-Dave

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Also, when using the remote, you HAVE to switch the remote to the Pre/Pro source to adjust the volume of the ACT-3.
incorrect. it is the default mode as it comes from the mfr, but you can program the remote for "volume punch through" so it always controls the ACT-3 volume no matter what mode you are in. see section D of the remote control operating instructions in the Act-3 manual for instructions on how to set this up.
EarleD,
i have owned an Act-3 for years and have been very happy with it. it has excellent sound quality and is very easy to operate. the user interface in the setup is kind of clunky, buy once set up you don't need to mess with it. the remote sucks, imo, but i understand many users really like it. i've replaced it with a pronto
all that being said, the Act-3 is no longer in production. Klipsch purchased Mondial and they decided to shelve the Acurus line and concentrate on the higher end Aragon line. the Mondial people are now working at Klipsch, they know the products and support the products, so really no change except the new parent company is bigger. i've seen used Act-3's below $600, new with factory warranty under $800.
be aware Mondial has announced an upgrade program for the Act-3, adding features, and a trade in program towards the $4000 Aragon Stage One pre/pro. the upgrade is $900, the trade in gives you $1500 in credit towards the Stage One. unfortunately, Mondial solicited input from Act-3 owners in Oct 2001, announced in Jan 2002 that it would begin soon after the new Stage One began shipping in March. that slipped to June/July. my recent call to Mondial tells me that it is going to occur "this fall".
for more info follow the link to their forum from the main Klipsch website.

Gregory F

Auditioning
I have one. I really liked it. It sounded good with my Apogee Caliper Siginature (L/R), Martin Logan Theater (C), and ML Scripts (surrounds), Hsu Research TN1220HO (sub). All very revealing speakers. I never had a problem with it. I use a Pronto as a remote and only used the supplied remote for a while and not to control my whole system.

As a step up to separates, I think it would be excellent.

That said, mine is available for sale. I have recently upgraded to 7.1. I got tired of waiting on the Stage One upgrade and another new preamp(Outlaw) to come out. I had already installed my rear speakers for 7.1 and got anxious to hear them in action. I would like to say my Sunfire Theater Grand III leaps and bounds better as soon as I fired it up. It sounds great, but I can't say that on the casual listening I have done so far that it is a lot better than the Acurus on 5.1. I have not done any critical listening, or tweaking, yet.

Just a few thoughts,
Greg

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
From Dave:
The only problem i have had is that when i switch sources, a "pop" sound from my Sub is heard. I believe this is a problem with most ACT-3s.
I had an ACT-3, but this popping noise whenver you change inputs was very annoying. Also, mine had an unusually loud hissing sound through all speakers that drove me up the wall. It was so loud that I could not enjoy any acoustical type music because the hiss would be like another (unwanted) instrument:thumbsdown:
With that said, I enjoyed the sound quality. Not enough though to keep me from trading it in on a Parasound AVC-2500 which is excellent in all regards, IMO.
Jerry

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Thanks for the info guys. Got a couple more questions:

Does it have ext inputs for SACD?

Does it have the ability to memorize different speaker calibrations for differnt modes(DD,DTS,Stereo, etc)

Is the bass managemnt universal for all speaker? If you set the hp-lp crossover at 60hz, is that the setting for all the speakers, or can each speaker be set individually?

Greg,

How much are you asking for yours. Is the ABM version?
Does is have this hiss that Jerry speaks of?

Thanks again and keep the idea coming

Earle

Blaine_S

Auditioning
"The only problem i have had is that when i switch sources, a "pop" sound from my Sub is heard. I believe this is a problem with most ACT-3s."

*BUT* it can be fixed. It is a problem with the DC offset according to Mondial and by the way, they have great service. My ACT-3ABM is dead quiet and does not "pop" at all. No hiss either.

2-channel audio is quite good, very good considering that they go for under $1k. I say this in comparison to my Sonic Fontiers Line1 preamp + Perpetural Technologies P3A DAC that I can easily switch to while listening and the Acurus holds it's own.

The ACT-3 has a number of merrits and the upgrade is tempting.

The only reason I will sell mine is that I don't need the 2-channel audio and DAC and I would like DPL-2. Otherwise it would be a keeper.

I bought mine new and have had it for about two years. It replaced an Angstrom 200/205 pre/pro that originally sold for close to $5k.

Gregory F

Auditioning
Mine does have the ABM update. I think the bass settings are universal for all small speakers. It's been a while since I set it. I have no hiss, or pops.

I have the original manual and the ABM manual in PDF form if you want me to email them.

I was thinking of putting it on E-bay, but I would take $700 plus shipping, before I put it up for auction.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Greg,

I would be interested in the ABM manual. Thanks alot.

You can use my eamil listed here. Let me read the manual and Ill get back to you.

thanks again

Earle

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure you guys talking about the same "popping"? My ACT-3 has an audible "pop" when switching sources that I would describe more as an "audible click". It eminates from the ACT-3 itself, *not* through the speakers. AFAIK, it's a mechanical relay inside the unit switching paths.

Blaine,
Do you really not hear *anything* at all when switching source inputs? If so, then maybe I'm wrong about the above. What else do you know about this DC offset thing?

Thanks,
Steve

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot to add:

I like my ACT-3 a lot. I'll be doing the trade-in for the StageOne, but I'm in no hurry as the ACT-3 really sounds great, even today.

Re the ABM: you have separate level settings for stereo, DD, and DTS, and separate bass mgmt for stereo vs. DD (see not below re DTS). There is only a single x-over selectable but you can choose which speakers to apply it to. You can also use the x-over but still send a full-range signal to your sub, which is what Mondial recommends since the sub's x-over slope, etc has been designed for the specific sub.

Note: There is *no DTS bass management* in the ACT-3. All speakers are sent a full-range signal all the time, which is what the DTS spec said to do at the time the ACT-3 was released.

This is really only an issue if you have any full-range-ish and doing a lot of bass routing in DD, in which case you will find that calibrated DD = DTS bass overload.

Steve

Blaine_S

Auditioning
Steve - the "pop" that I heard before I had Mondial fix it could easily be heard from my couch, about 8' from my speakers. Now you can only hear it if you put your ear directly up to the speaker. You can still hear the mechanical "click" of the solenoid inside the ACT-3 when you change sources.

Also, when I sent my ACT-3 in, they said that they put a new DSP module in. However, the features did not change.

I just ordered an Outlaw 950 that should arrive by this weekend. It will be interesting to compare the two.

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
I do find the internal click distracting. It's does seem really loud for a sound made w/o any moving parts. Hopefully, it's a little quieter in the Stage One. Please post your Outlaw comparison! Sounds like your not waiting around to trade in for the Stage One?

Also, when did you send in your ACT-3? Recently?

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks