What's new

Any A/D/S fans in the house? Got some speakers, need some info.... (1 Viewer)

DerekSPL

Grip
Hey guys,
this is my first post on this forum, I'll probably post a lot more in the future cuz it looks like this could be a valuable resource.

I just bought a pair of A/D/S M12 monitors from a family friend. They're in perfect condition, but I know very little about them.

These speakers are at least 15 years old, and due to A/D/S changing ownership a few times there's almost no info to be found about them.

I need to know if these are worth keeping, or if I should try to sell them. How much do you guys think is a fair price to ask? I got a specs sheet from an A/D/S representative and that's all I have to go on right now. Here are a few notes:

Impedance: 4 Ohms, nominal
Freq response: 34-22,000Hz
Drivers:
One 1" soft dome tweeter with proprietary copolymer dome. Wet wound, oxygen-free copper voice coil on Kapton former. High Gravity magnetic cooling fluid for efficient thermal transfer.
One 5.9" high compliance midrange with proprietary polymer cone and polymer-modified butyl rubber surround., etc etc.
Two 8.5" high compliance woofers with the same materials as stated above.

Crossovers:
200Hz and 2000Hz. High efficiency, LCR Linkwitz-Riley design with 24dB per octave slopes
Recommended amplifier power: 25 watts minimum, 250 watts maximum.
Enclosure type: Acoustic suspension with glass fiber damping.
Enclosure construction:
High density, sompressed wood with extensive internal bracing. Diffraction-corrected front baffle and flush driver mounting.
Grille: Acoustically transparent, frameless perforated steel, color coordinated with speaker finish.

What do you guys think?

DerekSPL

Grip
an A/D/S rep told me these are very high end speakers with all german-made parts, and they weigh 83 pounds each

James Edward

Supporting Actor
If the drivers are all in good working order, I'd keep them. If they are anything like the L810, L710's I used to own, they sound great. I sold mine to my brother-in-law, and have regretted the sale ever since(7 years ago).

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with an older speaker. They were not cheap when new, and I'd bet they could hold their own against many 'modern' speakers.

I looked at a lot of speakers before I found a pair to replace my a/d/s pair. They were replaced by PSB Stratus Golds, the only brand I found to better the a/d/s sound. The PSB's are a much larger and more expensive speaker. That says a lot for a/d/s.

Trust your ears. If you like the way they sound, keep them. Don't get sucked in by a lot of hype around newer designs.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
In other words you want to sell them......

What they are worth is what someone is willing to pay..
Your best bet is just to sit back for a few months and watch
eBay...

Robert Keeler

Auditioning
I used to have M- 7's with a soft dome tweeter, soft dome midrange and a 7-8" woofer in a very nice veneer. I regret selling them to this day. I still have my CM5's and a pair a 320i's car speakers.

If I recall, the M-12's were about $2K each new, but that was 91-93'.

You might get some traction on selling them for $500-750. That old though may be the limiting factor unless you found an A/D/S fan, and BTW I'll go $50 !!!hehehe

Robert

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
If they sound good to you then they are worth keeping right? You bought them, what were you looking to do, resell them again?

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Have a question on a different model ADS speaker. I have a pair of ADS LV1020's, made in 1971. Yes, a long time ago.

These are self amplified speakers that have been sitting around for quite a while. The woofers need to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can purchase another pair of woofers?? I am not even sure if the amps even work anymore.

I tried to get the woofers re-coned years ago, but no one could do the job. Therefore, new woofers are needed.

Also, anyone every hear these speakers?? I listened to them years ago, (like maybe 20) but gezz, don't remember what they sounded like. The wood is maple and in pristine condition too.

I am thinking a small project may be in order, but if its expensive, I'd rather not waste my time.

Suggestions and comments would be appreciated. I am not trying to sell these speakers, but may purchase a two channel pre-pro. These speakers too are soft dome tweeters.

Derek: Not trying to hijack your thread. It's just that ADS does not come up often on the site.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

DerekSPL

Grip
Jason waht im saying is, if the price is right I will sell them, but I'm not in a rush to. I jumped on the opportunity to buy these for a deal, so I'm willing to sell them for a fair price to someone who'd love 'em more than me.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Analog & Digital Systems - boy that name brings back memories. I'd love to have a mint pair of ADS L730 speakers, one of my all time favorites. It does seem that once ADS became a/d/s some of the quality was lost. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks