Any 95.5 WPLJ-NY fans here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Feb 7, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Every morning I listen to the Scott and Todd Morning show, but there's no place on thier official website to talk about it with other fans. So, every now and then I'll ask around the net. Sicne there are alot of East Coasters here, anyone else a fan of the Big Show?

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Neil, nice bakery.. [​IMG](I'm talking about the Wyckoff bakery which I grew up on their cheesecakes, of course the Wyckoff bakery was actually in Wayne and not Wyckoff. I've riden through Wycoff before though, nice town!)
    As far as WPLJ, I used to hate them cause all they played was TOP 40 crap and played alot of repeats and stuff, but seems like NYC radio has gone fairly crappy. Personally, I don't listen to the radio to hear people talk but WPLJ has gotten better. Better than Z100 in my book anyway. Though my favorite station, morning or anytime is WDHAFM out of Denville, NJ.
    In the morning I kind of have Q104 on and every 15 minutes they'll play a song.. ugh.. but since I bike to work and my transistor radio is in my pack, I can't change the channel easily. I don't get WDHA that good near me so that's why I'm forced to listen to Q104. The alternative is listening to Howard Stern on K-rock but like I said, I like to list
    en to music on the radio, not somebody talking away...
    Jay

3. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

WPLJ in the 70's was the shit.
    In the eighties and 90's it lost its edge and I have since moved to Vegas.
    Is it playing classic rock? Alternative? Clue me in. [​IMG]

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hehe, I'm really not a music fan, so I can't tell you what bands or songs they play. If I like a song, I'll listen for it, but usually won't know the name of it or who sings it [​IMG]. But their new tagline is the 'Best of the 80's and 90's and today', if that tells you anything... Sadly, they got rid of their retro 70's hour and replaced it with an, ugh, 'retro' 80's hour. I grew up in the 80's, so I still think it's too early to be retro....I'd rather have disco.
    But, yeah, PLJ Sadly still repeats alot o' crap throughout the day. They play the hit songs to death and give them an early retirement. Mambo Number 5, anyone?
    Usually I just listen to them for Scott and Todd. And, a few years ago, Rocky Allen before he got bagged and went to Detroit. I'm a big enough Big Show fan to wait for them at 1 AM in the morning for their Jenkinsons Shore show every summer [​IMG]. For Music, I usually tune in to the former all Disco Station(Krock?) and CBS FM 101.1. Hey, I'm young and I like the oldies. Now THAT'S music [​IMG]...

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, as far as the town goes, it is a nice area. But boring as hell [​IMG]. I'd rather live at our summer house, down at the Jersey Shore in Ortley Beach. Much nicer scenery, easier driving, and much more to do with all the local arcades and malls [​IMG]...

6. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I used to listen to PLJ all the time. We're talking around '93-'99, not including the time when it was THE station back in the 70's. Back then, they still played 70's music on Sat. nights, Rocky Allen was still around, and it was a fun station. Then, somehow, it lost its soul, or sold it to the record companies. No more 70's music, Rocky Allen is gone, and I happened to listen to that Friday morning crap last week and it's the same thing they've been doing for years. Same songs, same crap. Yay it's Sweet Caroline..ONE MORE TIME.

I listen to Q104 and DHA now.

Just a side note - on the night my wife and I were in the hospital to have our first baby, Blaine and his wife were in the delivery room next to ours. Turns out that after both our babies were born, we were in rooms just down the hall from each other. Not a very opportune time to say hi, even though he walked right past me.

Mike

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hehe, sadly, I didn't discover Rocky untill later, when I heard a very strange Phonescam rip off on the afternoon drive. It was kind of tough to listen to, after listening to Todd do 'em for 5 or so years, but after a while I got used to it and was hooked. My other favorite bits where the "Stump the DJ's", where listeners quoted favorite movie lines every Friday, and "Ask Abu"...
    That's pretty cool about the delivery room story. Way I would have handled it, is call in from the hospital while the show was on the air, and ask to talk to Blaine and surprise the heck out of him that way [​IMG].
    BTW, only time I saw them in person, was one cold night when they where broadcasting live from Paramus Park. This was before I could drive, and I wanted to stay and watch, but my mother wanted to go in and shop [​IMG].

8. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

During my train commute into the city, I surf from Howard, PLJ, and Z100. Howard is the king. PLJ has more chemistry than Z100. They seem more like a family, alot inside jokes and stuff.
    Mike
    BTW I live in Wyckoff, too [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Listened back in the early 70's when I lived in the Hudson Valley.
    The call letters were spose to be an abbreviation for White Port Lemon Juice.
    I think you had to be there. [​IMG]
    Jim

10. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Burnt Weeney Sandwich!!!

11. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

Well, I don't listen to WPLJ that much, but I do live in Wyckoff! I can't believe there's 3 of us here!