What's new

Any 80's Hard Rock/ Metal Fans? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Night Ranger. The guitar solo in Don't Tell Me You Love Me is still in my top ten favs. However, I can't hear Sister Christian without thinking of Boogie Nights.

Great news about Extreme...didn't know they were making a comeback. I love III Sides to Every Story.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I like "sing me away"and "you can still rock in america" by NIGHT RANGER. The EXTREME news is good to know. "Tragic Comic" was the last album I bought from them. Gary Cherone's solo effort was pretty good as well. He was never meant to front Van Halen anyway. EXTREME getting back together is going to be great.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I would have liked to have seen Billy Squier front VH for a while. That was a rumor for a while, but it was never real.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Man, I can't believe this. Four hours ago I was playing "in the dark" from Billy. Me and my girl met at a old fashioned diner where she worked and one of the songs on the jukebox was this. I played it every time I went to see her there. Funny you even brought it up. We spin that every once in awhile for the memories. Great, great song and way ahead of it's time musically.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Great song. I love Billy Squier. They say (and "they" includes Billy himself) his career was severely damaged by that Rock Me Tonight video, but I love the song. I managed to miss that video until the YouTube era.

Mike<R

Agent
Udo the lead singer for Accept has been married since 88, and he has two kids a boy and a girl. The boy is in a band playing drums.
As far as hari bands I only like Faster Pussycat, L.S.D, and some Ratt, I'm more of a Priest, Accept, Maiden, Motorhead, Warlock, Misfits, W.A.S.P., and Wendy O fan.

Adam_Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Duncan
I'm very fond of 1980s metal but not the hair band stuff (Motley Crue have some good songs though). Bands I like include Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Dio, Anthrax, Testament, Queensryche, Metallica's first four albums and King Diamond.

I'm also fond of bands like Pantera, Sepultura, Iced Earth, Dream Theater, Opeth, Mastodon, Children Of Bodom, Lamb Of God, Death, Morbid Angel, Alice In Chains, Dimmu Borgir, Meshuggah, Down, High On Fire, Ministry, Suffocation and Machine Head.

Anyone else seeing Maiden on their upcoming tour? Here's the North American dates:

USAMay 21, 2008San Antonio, TXVerizon Wireless
USAMay 22, 2008Houston, TXWoodlands
USAMay 25, 2008Albuquerque, NMJournal Pavilion
USAMay 26, 2008Phoenix, AZCricket Pavilion
USAMay 28, 2008Concord, CAConcord
USAMay 30, 2008Los Angeles, CAVerizon Wireless Amphitheatre
USAMay 31, 2008Los Angeles, CAVerizon Wireless Amphitheatre
USAJune 2, 2008Seattle, WAWhite River Amphitheater
CANADAJune 3, 2008Vancouver, BCPacific Coliseum
CANADAJune 5, 2008Calgary, ABSaddledome
CANADAJune 6, 2008Edmonton, ABRexall Place
CANADAJune 8, 2008Regina, SKBrandt Center
CANADAJune 9, 2008Winnipeg, MBMTS Centre
USAJune 11, 2008Rosemont, ILAllstate Arena
USAJune 12, 2008Cuyahoga Falls, OHBlossom Music Center
USAJune 14, 2008Holmdel, NJPNC Bank Arts Center
USAJune 15, 2008New York, NYMadison Square Gardens
USAJune 17, 2008Camden, NJSusquehanna Bank Centre
USAJune 18, 2008Columbia, MDMerriweather Post Pavilion
USAJune 20, 2008Mansfield, MATweeter Center for The Peforming Arts
CANADAJune 21, 2008MontrealParc Jean-Drapeau

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

I thought they were great and had a couple of their albums on tape. I don't currently have any of their CD's but I do have a couple tracks from iTunes.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

I like both but my true love is progressive rock, both new and old. Dream Theater, Genesis, Rush, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Opeth and so on. I could list a lot more but you get the point.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ditto. :)

I'd love to see Maiden again, but they're not playing around here this go-round. :frowning:

Maybe you guys were confusing Udo with Billy Squier. ;)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

Man, how the hell did I create that list without mentioning PT. Yes, I've got a bunch of their CD's. I'm waiting for the re-release of Lightbulb Sun next week to add that one to the collection. Blackfield is excellent as well.

We're probably getting OT with the prog rock stuff, though. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
When I saw Genesis above, I began thinking of a lot of other bands (and individuals) that I love and which one could discuss for hours. Some that came to mind were Gentle Giant (I love the Octopus album), Sid Barrett Floyd, John M. and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Other Music, Renaissance, ELP, Rick Wakeman, Tull, the Moody Blues, and tons of others that I listened to back in High School. I had to learn some of their work, and believe me it wasn't easy!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw Accept in 84 opening for Kiss and until I saw Death in the late 90s I always considered them best band Id seen live up to that point.

Simply awesome live. Id seen alot of concerts, but that band at that time always stood out to me as the best 50 minutes of live performing Id seen.

I still love their old music though I admit to not hearing anything theyd done after Udo left the band.

Best live performances Ive seen:

-Death in 97 (Im biased because I love this band so much)
-Snot in 98. Had to be seen, no words can explain this show. Their first record -touring with Max Cavaleras Soufly. It was incredible to watch. Ive never seen a band put so much passion and raw energy into a show before. Outstanding live sound and a "funness" that cant be compared to out of the 100 live shows Ive seen.Unfortunately they only made one record. Their vocalist Lynn Strait was killed in a car wreck. Fantastic!!!! live band. I remember it like it was yesterday and its a very fond memory. My brothers seen most of the shows I have and this is his fav live performance.
-Mike Ness/Social Distortion. Ive seen these guys a few times in the past few years. Ill go anywhere to see them play. A great performer and a great band. Amazing live.

Id add Accept to that list as the 4 best live bands Id ever seen.

Id give my right nut to have seen Voivod in their prime in the late 80s :frowning:

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I am a huge fan of 80's Hard Rock/Metal. It is what got me through my high school years. Here are my favorites that were on constant rotation in my Walkman up until I graduated in 1986:

Accept - Restless And Wild, Balls To The Wall
Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
Def Leppard - High 'N' Dry, Pyromania
Dokken - Tooth And Nail, Under Lock And Key
Lita Ford - Dancin' On The Edge
Great White - Great White
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind, Powerslave
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders Of The Faith
Keel - The Right To Rock
Kiss - Creatures Of The Night, Lick It Up, Animalize, Asylum
Krokus - Headhunter
Metallica - Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets
Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love, Shout At The Devil
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman, Bark At The Moon, The Ultimate Sin
Quiet Riot - Metal Health, Condition Critical
Raven - All For One
Ratt - Out Of The Cellar, Invasion Of Your Privacy
S.O.D. - Speak English Or Die
Stryper - Soldiers Under Command
W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P., The Last Command
Y&T - Earthshaker, Mean Streak

I continued to follow and expand my collection of pretty much all the bands above as well as getting into Bulletboys, EZO, Enuff Z 'Nuff, Kings X, Queensryche, Guns N' Roses, etc. in the late 80's. I also got really heavily into Prog Rock and 60's bands like The Beatles, The Doors and The Who.

80's music will always have a special place in my memory though.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"It's a guy called Jon Levin. Lynch is still solo."

Lynchs singer is Andy Freeman, a friend of mine from high school.

Andy is a pretty great guitar player himself but seems to be sticking to singing nowadays.

Last time I saw Andy was in the late 90s and talked to him around 2001 or so. About 3 years ago a mutal friend told me he was singing for Lynch Mob I said "huh? How the hell did that happen?"
He was working for his father in laws company, got divorced, fed up one day packed his bags and headed out west. I think Andy met Lynch through his brother who had moved out a few years earlier.

You can easily find his myspace or clips of him on youtube under Andrew Freeman. He also has a side band with Vinny Appice(as well as a RATM tribute band)

BTW, I play in a band on friday nights and our drummer was a road technician for just about every metal band out there during the late 80s-late 90s. Incredible drummer. He has one bad knee, needing surgery but a few cups of coffee and it doesnt slow him down at all.

Oh yea and Mylan we were told by my friend years ago that Udo was gay :) Wolf Hoffman is one of my favorite guitarists and IMHO is really underrated.

troy evans

Screenwriter
"Nothing Face"....You made me dig this out of my collection and play it for the first time in years....Thank You :)

Adam_Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Duncan

I love that band. Best death metal group ever. Symbolic is their best album IMO. Chuck Schuldiner is among my Top 5 favourite guitarists. It breaks my heart that he's no longer with us. I would have loved to have seen this band live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks