Any 6.1 receiver accommodating 2 rear surronds?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ray_P, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Ray_P

Ray_P Auditioning

Does anyone know of a 6.1 receiver on the market that can accommodate 2 rear speakers for one rear channel sound?

In other words, I don't quite have the cash for a 7.1 receiver, but I already have the 2 rear speakers. Is there a 6.1 receiver that will mimic a 7.1 (act as a poor man's 7.1 receiver )? :b

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You can do it with pretty much any 6.1 receiver. It's all in the way you wire them. Are the speakers 8ohm? If they are both 4ohm then you probably couldn't do it, but if both are 8ohm you'll be fine.

What receivers are you looking at? In most cases 6.1 or 7.1 depends on the brand, not the price. For instance, I think H/K only makes 7.1, no 6.1. Other brands make 6.1, but no 7.1, so I think it depends more on brand than price.

3. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

I don't really see how what you're asking for is any different than a 7.1 receiver....I think that there are plenty of 7.1 receivers that cost as much as 6.1 receivers.

Mike

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

And I'm not really sure why you need 7.1. 6.1, even 5.1 should be adequate in most rooms when *properly setup*.

5. Ray_P

Ray_P Auditioning

I have a budget of about $300 and most 7.1 receivers I have found so far are in the $400 and up range.[​IMG]

6. Ray_P

Ray_P Auditioning

My reason for the 2 speakers sharing the rear channel duties instead of one is there is a wide doorway at the back of the room (from the kitchen), so I can't center one speaker. I am trying to put one on each side of the door, on the wall. One speaker above the door would of course not be at ear level.

I have been looking at any and all 6.1 receivers under $300 from the "BIG 2" major electronics retailers, but I can't gather from the online descriptions whether I can accomplish what I would like to do. [​IMG]

7. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

with 2 8ohm speakers if you wire them in parallel you will end up with a 4ohm final load. actually ideally it owuld be nice to have 2 4ohm speakers that way you could wire them in series and end up with a 8ohm final load which will be much easier to drive.

on another note are you only looking for authorized dealers? the Yamaha HTR-5760 can be found for around $350. it is 7.1 with DPL2x.

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

You've got 2 choices- series (16 ohms) and parallel (4 ohms). To do the latter, you would have to run 4 wires (2 pairs) across the room. I would try series first. Run a pair of wires across the room. Connect the wire from the receivers red lug to the red lug of one speaker, and the other wire to the black lug of the other speaker. Then use a single wire to connect the vacant lugs between the two speakers. The net output of the two will probably be a little weak, but thats what your receiver trims are for. Trim it up to match the rest and its done.

9. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I was actually reading somewhere, I think it was on a dobly web site, they actually recomend two speakers for the rear center. My local Marantz dealer has the test rooms set up that way, it makes the sound less directional.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The reason Dolby, DTS, THX, Lexicon, ETC all recommend 7.1 setups is because 6.1 places a speaker directly on-axis behind your head, and your brain can sometimes confuse sounds from that speaker as coming from the front, which is undesireable. This is the reversal effect, and it is the reason 7.1 speaker arrays are recommended, even if the two rear backs are in mono off a 6.1 receiver, for instance, which is what the original poster is trying to do, and is what I do off my 6.1 receiver with good results.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

12. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Seth,

H/K's AVR 230 is 6.1 (though it has pre-amp outs for 7.1).

13. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Seth,

H/K's AVR 230 is 6.1 (though it has pre-amp outs for 7.1).

14. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Pioneer VSX-D811S, D812, D912, D814, and D914 all have 6 channels of amplification but dual binding posts for 2 rear surrounds. They essentially internally wire the surrounds in series, but this does make setup much easier than trying to do series wiring externaly. These are all also available in the sub $300 price range online. The 912 and 914 also add automatic speaker setup and level matching.

15. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Pioneer VSX-D811S, D812, D912, D814, and D914 all have 6 channels of amplification but dual binding posts for 2 rear surrounds. They essentially internally wire the surrounds in series, but this does make setup much easier than trying to do series wiring externaly. These are all also available in the sub $300 price range online. The 912 and 914 also add automatic speaker setup and level matching.

16. Ray_P

Ray_P Auditioning

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

Some have mentioned going "parallel", others have mentioned going "series". I guess that I might try series simply because it sounds safer to have a 16 ohm total load than a 4 ohm. Also, I like what Stephen mentioned about the Pioneers and how they do series internally for 2 rear channels. Also thanks to Philip Hamm for a very informative website link. I learned alot.

17. Ray_P

Ray_P Auditioning

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

Some have mentioned going "parallel", others have mentioned going "series". I guess that I might try series simply because it sounds safer to have a 16 ohm total load than a 4 ohm. Also, I like what Stephen mentioned about the Pioneers and how they do series internally for 2 rear channels. Also thanks to Philip Hamm for a very informative website link. I learned alot.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You're quite welcome! THat particular site helped me a great deal when I was configuring my infinite baffle subwoofer earlier this year. I ended up putting a 4 ohm load on my amp - no problem it's a monster.

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You're quite welcome! THat particular site helped me a great deal when I was configuring my infinite baffle subwoofer earlier this year. I ended up putting a 4 ohm load on my amp - no problem it's a monster.

20. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

And for what it's worth, the JVC RX-7040 & RX-8040 have the same setup for speakers as the Pioneer's and can be had for under $300 too. But I would probably go with one of the Pioneer's unless you need a Phono Input than I would go with the JVC RX-8040 which beside the Phono Input works for 2 different zones & has an RF Remote that will work from the second zone. Check www.crutchfield.com for a picture of the rear panel & the speaker connections on the RX-8040.