Any $500-ish receivers out there that can handle 4-ohm speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenG, Feb 20, 2002.

1. BenG

BenG Agent

Thinking about getting some of those wonderful Magnepan MMGs, and I'm pretty sure that my old receiver will not handle them. Here is what I am looking for:
    - Great sound quality. My usage is about 70% music, 30% HT.
    - Enough wattage to push the power-hungry MMGs (like 87db sensitivity, I think), although I dont push my speakers anywhere near ear-bleeding levels at all.
    - Dolby Digital/DTS, nothing fancy there. If it were 6-channel, all the better, but not absolutely necessary at this point.
    I've come to the conclusion that most (all?) "good" speakers seem to be 4-ohm, so this is rather important to me. However, I dont have much money to spend at the moment [​IMG] Is it unrealistic to expect all of the above features out of a receiver at this price point?
    I appreciate any suggestions!

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, I set up my friend's home theater with an Onkyo 595 and Ascend Acoustics speakers all around (they are all 4 Ohm). There is a 4 Ohm switch on the back of the 595, which I enabled. It has no problem cranking out serious volume with all 5 speakers being 4 Ohm, so I wouldn't worry about the MMGs. BTW, the MMGs as a 4 Ohm load is supposed to be easier to handle for amps than most dynamic 4 Ohm speakers. This has to do with their reactance and the impedance curve with respect to frequency.

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Off the top of my head, I know that Sony and Yamaha support 4ohm loads. Not sure of the specific models, but the Yammie HTR-5490 will definitely do it and is around your price range.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

The Outlaw 1050 has a 4/8 ohm switch. The 65 watt per channel rating is very conservative; this unit will punch out cleaner power at 65 watts than most so-called "120 wpc" receivers out there. It seems to fit your criteria, and it's well built to boot, for $500.

KJP

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would expect Marantz, Denon, Onkyo and Harmon Kardon receivers in that price range to be able to handle 4ohm operation. All have relatively stout amps for their price range.

I listen to more music than HT, so I chose Marantz. IMO, they do the best job at music of those I listed. Give the SR5200 and SR6200 an audition.

Yes, people will say that there are quality issues with Marantz, but I have heard issues for each and every manufacturer, so you it is the same chance you take with each. I am very happy with my 6200.

6. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I agree with John. The Marantz AVR's are the best when it comes to two-channel music imho. I have a Denon 1802, and though it sounds good, I managed to give the Marantz units mentioned here a listen, and they definitely excel in the music department. If you would primarily use it for HT, I'd say go with Denon or Onkyo. I don't know what Marantz has done, but they certainly have an edge over their competitors when it comes to music. Hoever, I think all of these manufacturer's should be able to handle a 4-OHM load.

Reg