What's new

Any 3D HT Owners?? (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, I was looking into getting into 3D for my Home Theater. I know there are NOT many 3D Titles available but it is cool anyway. I am a BIG Fan of 3D Have been since I saw it in Florida back in 92 well on the BIG screen anyHow. I also saw a few titles at IMAX and in 3D that was a big screen but NOT in the aspect ratio I like. well I guess you can't have everything.

This is starting to be the 2nd Golden Age of 3D as they say. There are some movies coming out in 3D.. ie "Beowulf" last november, they even have a U2 Concert now in 3D at theaters and still should be playing. But there will be more 3D releases this Summer, Journey to the Center of the Earth being one.

I was wondering if Anyone here bought the new 3D capable HDTV's or have a 3D theater and would share there experience or what you think of 3D in General.

I also ran into a site that sells a 2D to 3D DVD real time conversion Program. I know that is NOT as good as a movie shot in 3D but that way I will be able to watch ALL Of my DVD's in sort of 3D.

Also I did not know where else to put this ?? Mods Feel Free to move to Correct location ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The programs that convert 2D to 3D in real time are not ready for prime time.

The way they work (at least the ones of which I am aware) use camera movement to get information that is similar to human binocular vision. Here a bit of an aside that you should ignore if you are already aware of how we see in 3D and how that is done on film.

3D movies simulate our vision by shooting with two cameras (parallel to each other) at the same time. This gives two reference points that can be used to make the movie into 3D. Without these two, slightly different points of view one can’t see in 3D.

The 2D/3D conversion software typically simulates two points of view by using camera pans and tracking shots to get multiple reference points. This actually works pretty well for pans that are horizontal to the viewing plane, and on tracking shots that where the camera is shooting at right angles to the track. It does not work so well for vertical pans and very poorly for diagonal pans and tracking. Still shots where people move around can produce some interesting results: think for example in the opening of The Lord of the Rings how the cinematographer and set designers use perspective to make Frodo appear much smaller than Gandalf as they ride in the cart. Some things that are done by cleaver camera work, should not be undone.

I find the software interesting and the results variable. Personally, I think that the 3D effects are distracting as they are not consistent. And from an artistic perspective, the results are not at all what the director and cinematographer had in mind when shooting the movie.

As Ted Turner finally realized, just because you could turn a B&W movie into a color film, does not mean that one should.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I see but what about the real 3D?? I know there is only a limited number of 3D DVD's but there are more now as IMAX has released it's 3D movies shown in 3D.

I have found a simple solution and it Only requires 1 Compatible DLP Projector:

VIDIMENSIO - Willkommen in der Welt des 3D Heimkinos! 3D Heimkino - 3D Projektor - 3D-DUAL-PROZESSOR - 3D LCD Shutter Brille - 3D Video - 3D Kamera - 3D Projektion - Virtual Reality - 3D Hometheater - 3D Projector - 3D Projection - 3D-DUAL-PROCESSOR

There are 2 different versions Professional is more like a Movie Theater as you use the Polarized Glasses, and the Other version you need to use the Shutter Glasses.

I am leaning toward the shutter glasses as it is more reasonably priced and since there are Not many Real 3D Titles available, I am leaning towards a cheaper solution.

Hopefully they will release more Field Sequential 3D Titles like BeoWulf in 3D and More in the Future..

But does anyone else do any 3D Gaming?? with either a computer or on the new DLP HDTV's and their Consoles??

EDIT: I also found out with the Stereoscopic Player and TriDef Media Player I can use Anaglyph Format for an even cheaper solution but 3D looks Better with the Shutter, Polarized glasses ;)

plurge

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan
In DLP's the samsung 650 and 750 are capable of 3D...with the optional upgrade which is $199 through Samsung. Yes, it is a software based upgrade but think of the advantage with console gaming? I think thats where they are trying to get the market. Mitsubishi's new DLP also has 3D capabilities but they are also pushing this towards the gaming crowd.

both the 650 and 750 Samsungs are 120hz which may be the key to accurately reproducing a 3D image without much distraction....just my thoughts though.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Yes the 3D DLP HDTV's we're big news in the 3D Community. I was just wondering if anybody else is getting into 3D Gaming or a 3D theater??

I am Planning on getting a 3D HT Even tho there are only a few titles available. But I also Plan on getting the 2D to 3D Conversion software. I think it looks pretty neat even if NOT Perfect.

Here is the Software Player:

DDD - Bringing 3D to Mainstream

Link to the Real 3D Converter box:

VIDIMENSIO - Willkommen in der Welt des 3D Heimkinos! 3D Heimkino - 3D Projektor - 3D-DUAL-PROZESSOR - 3D LCD Shutter Brille - 3D Video - 3D Kamera - 3D Projektion - Virtual Reality - 3D Hometheater - 3D Projector - 3D Projection - 3D-DUAL-PROCESSOR

On the above site it Defaults to the German site you have to select your Country top right the Flags.

I also would like to say that I am an Avid 3D Gamer and Have recently Bought a Sharp DLP Projector and made a 45" 4:3 Screen. I Play mostly Military Flight Simulators.. ie, Falcon 4: ALlied Force.
The 3D effect on the Big screen is really cool altho the Rez could be better.

But after Playing for a while I am getting used to it and is still better than 2D Gaming. I also am getting into some Racing Sims, GTR2 Now that looks really cool in 3D Almost like really Being there.

I had made a video and sorry for being OT but hey it is my thread hehe!! here is the vid, altho not in 3d but you will get the idea:

YouTube - Maverick Training mission

But I would like to here if more people are getting the 3D DLP HDTV's?? or a 3D Theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks