1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any 2015 news on "Ryan's Daughter"?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by PMF, Sep 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    The trouble with having films restored and released onto bluray is that there are probably hundreds of titles that demand such a release. It would take many years for the money to be made available in order to restore the wanted films. One has to be very patient and just wait. All things come to those who wait.

2. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

Additionally, LOA and RD were shot spherical 65mm, unlike Ben-Hur and Spartacus, which might have made a slight difference, would it not?

PMF likes this.
  3. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Indeed I would expect this to make a slight difference with everything else being identical but I am not sure if it would really be noticable in the case of UP70 / Camera 65. I think that a bigger issue may have been that ultimate sharpness and detail were attained by contact printing from the camera negative and of course by having a big negative area to begin with.
    So as long as there were contact prints the UP70 / Camera 65 movies should achieve almost the same quality as spherical productions as in that case it would be the same negative size and the same printing process.

Unfortunately that applied only to Ben-Hur and Mutiny on the Bounty, all the other movies made in the process did not get 70 mm contact prints in their initial releases from what I have gathered or at least they must have been extremely rare as these movies were usually shown flat or on cinerama screens where they were predistorted in printing. I have seen the predistorted prints of Khartoum and The Greatest Story Ever told and pans look horrible on up to 90 degree screens plus everything is obviously stretched vertically to varying degrees, I really cannot enjoy those prints very much but both look very sharp so I would think that the difference that the taking process may have made is not as big as one might think.

As for Spartacus it came from a smaller negative and went through an optical printer so it would indeed be expected to look a bit weaker like all movies released in the Super Technirama 70 process. I still think that the ca. 7 to 8 Super Technirama 70 productions that I saw in 70mm looked very good with the exception of Sleeping Beauty that looked less impressive.

PMF and Stephen PI like this.
  4. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    I saw Ben Hur from a 4K DCP at Bradford on Sunday on the Cinerama screen and it looked really great.

SteveJKo, PMF and benbess like this.
  5. Message #825 of 832 Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    OliverK

OliverK Producer

I saw it at the Schauburg 70mm festival and since then I have been waiting for the 4k version to be released by Warner.

Since then I have learned that a catalog title does not really have to look good to be released on UHD so I would not be surprised if it takes another two or three years to arrive on UHD.

PMF likes this.
  6. Message #826 of 832 Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    True. But don't forget, this thread was initiated some 49 months ago;
    which, at a monthly announcement rate, is the equivalency of 147 plus titles.

benbess, DP 70, RMajidi and 2 others like this.
  7. Message #827 of 832 Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    A 4K/UHD of "Ryan's Daughter" (1970) would be an amazing thing to have and to own;
    especially if "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962) and "Doctor Zhivago" (1965) were to be released within the same format.

As it was, these 3 films were designed by David Lean and Freddie Young as a canvas termed as "The Elements" trilogy;
    to which each of these efforts won a competitive Oscar for Best Cinematography, and all within an 8 year span.

Freddie Young - master cinematographer - his legacy is deserving of these same heights and uniformity.

8. Message #828 of 832 Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Speaking of 4K/UHD and a Freddie Young uniformity of his triple-play perfections;
    one has to wonder out loud if "Doctor Zhivago" would be a successful candidate for this format?
    I say this because "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Ryan's Daughter" were shot in 70mm;
    to which both would seem to be a slam-dunk dream in terms of reference quality and 4K excellence.
    Yet, with "Doctor Zhivago", we have a film that was shot in 35;
    so with this, we may have to ask that necessary question. Will Yuri be able to board his train?
    If the answer is "Yes", then hopefully Warner Brothers (vs. WAC) will do a 4K/UHD upgrade;
    as they had so magnificently done with "2001" and "Blade Runner".

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    IMHO, yes.

PMF and benbess like this.
  10. Message #830 of 832 Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    All this makes me wonder if Sony have gotten around to working their magic on Freddie Young's 65mm photography on Lord Jim (1965).

Ken Koc, PMF, benbess and 2 others like this.
  11. Message #831 of 832 Oct 19, 2019
    OliverK

OliverK Producer

For now they have worked their magic on a new 70mm print some 10 years ago - it is magnificent.

I am sure that in due time they will also revisit Lord Jim in the digital realm but as the negative is probably in better shape than some other titles it may take a backseat to for example Barabbas that could require more work sooner. I also would presume that Barabbas was shot on Eastman 5250 stock and not the later 5251 that would have been used on Lord Jim.

PMF likes this.
  12. Message #832 of 832 Oct 19, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Ah, yes, Mr. Harris. This is just what the "Doctor" ordered.:)

Well then, short of any further restorative work, the rest is up to Warner Brothers.

To date, WB has given us 4K/UHD transfers of "The Wizard of Oz", "The Shining", "2001: A Space Odyssey", "The Matrix", "Blade Runner" and "Unforgiven"; all of which were voted upon by The American Society of Cinematographers as their Top 100 films of visual influence for their centenary year of 2019. Likewise, "Doctor Zhivago" was also cited and is part and parcel to this prestigious recognition.

Fingers crossed.:popcorn:

benbess likes this.