What's new

RYAN’S DAUGHTER: Discussions for a BD Release (2015 - 2024) (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Viewed my DVD copy a few weeks ago and I still liked it with great performances, photography, and the score by the great Maurice Jarre. DVD was ok looking but like all of us here wish for a upgrade soon.
Yep! It's time I watched the DVD again. I'll do that in the next few days.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yep! It's time I watched the DVD again. I do that in the next few days.

I suggest to rent it on vudu or itunes if you must - if you have enough bandwidth to stream in HD. The streaming version looks respectable and actually better than some of Warner's earlier Blu-rays. I watch my movies on disc when I can but not at the expense of quality - in this case HD streaming beats the DVD by a big margin.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Everyone is anyone who presses the "Likes" button for Message #747.;)
3 potential customers, thus far, vs - off the top of my head - a 600k budget.
Monday's 3 potential customers have now since tripled to 9.
As it is, a 4K/UHD disc has the average price of about 35 bucks.
This now brings our collective offer in at about $315.00.
Again, that's Three Hundred and Fifteen smackaroos !!!:)
Think of it.
Not since Lorne Michaels offer of a certified $3,000 check to have The Beatles reunite on SNL has there been a bid so close.
And don't forget, that $3,000 check was to be split 4-ways;
whereas in this case, our collective sums will not require the same.
That's right, WAC. All 315 bucks will belong to you and you alone;
and we're not even going to ask for the bonus materials, either.
As a matter of fact, we'll even waive our usual requests for free shipping;
as this, alone, could only add more to your coffer.:thumbs-up-smiley:
Please get back to us by your next wave of release announcements;
otherwise, we'll all just have to go with the 2K disc, instead.:cool:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
February 7, 2006 saw the DVD release of Ryan's Daughter.
Albeit, a beautiful transfer and 2-Disc package for its time;
we are now living some 13 years later in a far, far different realm of superior advancements and home viewing excellence.

While WAC has been at the forefront of providing their own brand of excellence and supplying consumers with such a wonderful array of titles, many upon this thread still seek and hope for an upgraded transfer of Ryan's Daughter on a newer disc.

If you are also craving the same; but have yet to lend your voice; then please begin by scrolling back to Message #747 and pressing the "Likes" button to give of your vote. After all, how will WAC ever really know if we don't get those numbers up? Indeed, we have our loyal and familiar names who have already shown of their interests and support; yet, with a roster of newer names not yet heard from, this could only serve to highlight to WAC that there really is a place for a newer Ryan's Daughter release.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
After some inspired research, I do believe that I have discovered an additional, yet dormant, 259 votes. Regretful, though, as these "potentials" were not found here within our HTF. So where then, you may ask, are these "potentials" hiding out? Well, I will tell you, as they are to be found at Amazon. I went to the Ryan's Daughter 2-Disc DVD page. I scrolled down. And there, within the section of Customer Reviews were over 300 consumers who had sized up their experience with Ryan's Daughter. They rated Ryan's Daughter with the 1-5 Star format. And it was there that I discovered that exactly 259 viewers had given this visual masterpiece either a 4 or 5 star review.

As far as biased me is concerned, this lends further evidence that an upgraded disc in 2019 would absolutely have its repeat purchasers. So, shall we adopt these 259 customers for this isolated canvasing?Could their numbers be another sign that there are potentially more unknowns out there who also look forward to an upgrade? It's audacious and eye-brow raising, I know, but these numbers should really be carted over to Message #747.

Count 'em up folks and let me say it once, again...
Two Hundred and Fifty-Nine !!!:drum:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's available for streaming purchase/rental in HD on iTunes and Vudu.
Do you know if iTunes and Vudu are streaming Ryan's Daughter within its proper Aspect Ratio?
Xfinity has RD in HD, but their Aspect Ration is at 1:85:1; except during the opening and closing credits.

For everyone's reference:
Ryan's Daughter was filmed in Super Panavision 70
Aspect Ratio - 2.35:1 (35mm)
Aspect Ratio - 2.20:1 (70mm)

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Do you know if iTunes and Vudu are streaming Ryan's Daughter within its proper Aspect Ratio?
Xfinity has RD in HD, but their Aspect Ration is at 1:85:1; except during the opening and closing credits.

For everyone's reference:
Ryan's Daughter was filmed in Super Panavision 70
Aspect Ratio - 2:35:1 (35mm)
Aspect Ratio - 2:20:1 (70mm)

The version that shows on vudu has an aspect ratio of 2.2:1

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Ryan's Daughter would be a wonderful 4K experience if it is done right. 2001 shows us that these older large format films can indeed be done better than "right," and that WB/WAC knows how to restore such a film. This, and LoA from Sony/Columbia, are instant purchases for me.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
You'd have to leave me out. I saw it in original release, and it was slow going, almost inert. It was beautifully photographed, but something has to happen. And unlike Bridge on the River Kwai and Doctor Zhivago (which had its draggy moments, too), nothing ever did. I generally like Mitchum, but got the feeling he was mainlining melatonin. Taking 45 minutes out of the 194-minute running time would have helped immensely.
"RYAN" did run at some US revival theaters in a cut version around '78 or 9. The film started when Tim O'Leary shoots the policeman.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"RYAN" did run at some US revival theaters in a cut version around '78 or 9. The film started when Tim O'Leary shoots the policeman.

The cut version appeared earlier than that! I loved the film when I saw it during its first run 70 millimeter engagement in San Francisco in 1970. In 1971, it played at a second run theatre and I took my mother to see it. My jaw dropped when the film began with the policeman being shot. I thought the projectionist had mixed the reels up!

Last edited:

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
The cut version appeared earlier than that! I loved the film when I saw it during its first run 70 millimeter engagement in San Francisco in 1970. In 1971, it played at a second run theatre and I took my mother to see it. My jaw dropped when the film began with the policeman being shot. I thought the projectionist had mixed the reels up!
That's shocking; I'l bet you were disappointed, but also bet you stayed, having made the effort to take your mum to see it. Imagine if it happened with a recently released film nowadays: you'd be able to demand your money back and order an uncut, pristine BD from anywhere in the world. This is the golden age for film fans!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This past week, 26 HTF members gave voice to Ryan's Daughter.
Don't miss out on the fun !!
Just go to Messages #742-750 and be among the counted.:thumbs-up-smiley:

2019: May physical media reign.:popcorn:

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Something similar happened to Camelot (1967) ... A friend mine insisted it was the greatest film of all time and several of us went to see it in another one of the 70mm reissues (ca 1979) and she was aghast the film had been cut as she had been quoting the lines from the film verbatim ... :(

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Maybe in this anniversary year of WAC we will get our wish for a Blu Ray of Ryans Daughter. Let’s hope so!!!
Actually, both WAC and the American Society of Cinematographers are celebrating an anniversary. In the case of ASC, its their centenary year; and out of a 100 years of DP's they voted upon Freddie Young's work on "Lawrence of Arabia" as being their Number #1 film.:)

Mr. Young's career included 3 Oscar wins for "Lawrence of Arabia"(1962), "Doctor Zhivago"(1965) and umm-m-m...oh, what was that third film. Let's see, I think it came out in 1970. Wow, that's 3 Oscars in 8 years. Oh, I've got it. Was it "Rosemary's Daughter"? No? Wait, wait, okay, I believe it was the film where Ethel Merman sang "Everything's Coming Up Rosy". Am I right? What? It wasn't?!! Okay, wait, wait...don't say it...I know it'll come to me in a second...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks