What's new

RYAN’S DAUGHTER: Discussions for a BD Release (2015 - 2024) (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I think The Best Years Of Our Lives Blu-ray disc is excellent, and so did most people when the disc first came out. It should be remembered that the OCN for this film was lost long ago.
Under the circumstances faced by the OCN of The Best Years Of Our Lives, I agree with Robin9; as it really does look great.
But, I know I'd be purchasing it pronto and again, were there a "Halleluiah" discovery connected to this title, as well.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
So are there any 2017 news on Ryan's Daughter?

Just a feeble attempt on my behalf to read something about the movie that this thread was named after ;)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
So are there any 2017 news on Ryan's Daughter?

Just a feeble attempt on my behalf to read something about the movie that this thread was named after ;)

You see, there's a tacit understanding on this thread that goes something like this:

We don't actually refer to the film that must not be named or ask about its progress or release, and in return Warners don't burn the negative.

It's very delicate business.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You see, there's a tacit understanding on this thread that goes something like this:

We don't actually refer to the film that must not be named or ask about its progress or release, and in return Warners don't burn the negative.

It's very delicate business.
But, nonetheless, it is still a business.
If ever we do see a BD of "Ryan's Daughter", I would hope that our interests and discussions upon this thread became a contributing factor for WAC's considerations. Impossible to measure or to know; that is, unless, WAC, Criterion, TT, et al, can confirm if our HTF thread discussions for all of their other BD titles have played a part in the success of their sales.
I, for one, do hope so.:)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wonder if Robert Harris could comment on the 4K futures for "Summertime", "Bridge on the River Kwai" and "Doctor Zhivago"?

Also, does Mr. Harris foresee a 4K/UHD release of "Lawrence of Arabia"?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wonder if Robert Harris could comment on the 4K futures for "Summertime", "Bridge on the River Kwai" and "Doctor Zhivago"?

Also, does Mr. Harris foresee a 4K/UHD release of "Lawrence of Arabia"?

I believe the rights to Summertime are held by Janus / Criterion.

As to Lawrence, I would presume we'll be seeing it in good time.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
One can only imagine how the visual splendor of "Ryan's Daughter" would look, were it brought to its highest levels on disc, as well.
One things for certain, it would receive nothing but WAVE reviews.:rolleyes:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
While Lawrence has imo the more spectacular vistas the film that must not be named has even finer grain than Lawrence and detail is often staggering from what I could see on a vintage 70mm print. So there is enough splendor to shine even on a Blu-ray from 35mm elements. Now I shall go back to reverent silence as we are not supposed to talk about the movie that must not be named :D

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The OliverK link offers the most encouraging of news for us classic film buffs.
And the earlier foundational restorative efforts of one Mr. Robert A. Harris, will shine once again and thus, even more;
as I noted in The Digit Bits article that "The Godfather" is in the wings.
For certain, "The Bridge on the River Kwai" being first released makes sense,
as RAH's work on "Lawrence of Arabia" will certainly provide an even greater visual peak to be reckoned with.

Not wanting to veer off too much from the works of David Lean,
but I can't wait for the day where ALL of RAH's works get their releases on 4K/UHD.
RAH's body of work as Archivist matches that of David Lean's oeuvre as Filmmaker;
as both provide the sheerest of excellence within their pursuits of perfection.

Have I cited all of the RAH titles?

"Lawrence of Arabia"
"My Fair Lady"
"Spartacus"
"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"
"The Godfather"
"The Godfather, Part II"
"Rear Window"
"Vertigo"

It would be interesting to know how he feels about any or all of these titles, in terms of their making the transition towards 4K/UHD.

Last edited:

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
"Lawrence of Arabia"
"My Fair Lady"
"Spartacus"
"The Godfather"
"The Godfather, Part II"
"Rear Window"
"Vertigo"

Although I would love to own all of these in 4K/UHD only Lawerence of Arabia and My Fair Lady would be immediate purchases - unfortunately budget & age put a kabosh on buying repeat titles :) I have all of the others which are indeed brilliant presentations of wonderful movies!

Regards,

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Although I would love to own all of these in 4K/UHD only Lawerence of Arabia and My Fair Lady would be immediate purchases - unfortunately budget & age put a kabosh on buying repeat titles :) I have all of the others which are indeed brilliant presentations of wonderful movies!

Regards,
But what if you end up living far longer than the age that's running in your thoughts?:D

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

Regards,
Just for the record, after obtaining the RAH restorations of "Lawrence of Arabia" and "My Fair Lady" in the ever hopeful format of 4K/UHD; would your budget have considerations for a 4K/UHD of a film shot by Freddie Young in an Irish locale?

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Just for the record, after obtaining the RAH restorations of "Lawrence of Arabia" and "My Fair Lady" in the ever hopeful format of 4K/UHD; would your budget have considerations for a 4K/UHD of a film shot by Freddie Young in an Irish locale?

Absolutely day one baby !

Regards,

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In the time-honored tradition of theatrical directors and actors, whose superstitions refer to "Macbeth" as that "Scottish" play;
we here, upon this thread of "Ryan's Daughter", shall now and hereby refer to this work as that "Irish" film.

Better safe than sorry.;)

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The OliverK link offers the most encouraging of news for us classic film buffs.
And the earlier foundational restorative efforts of one Mr. Robert A. Harris, will shine once again and thus, even more;
as I noted in The Digit Bits article that "The Godfather" is in the wings.
For certain, "The Bridge on the River Kwai" being first released makes sense,
as RAH's work on "Lawrence of Arabia" will certainly provide an even greater visual peak to be reckoned with.

Not wanting to veer off too much from the works of David Lean,
but I can't wait for the day where ALL of RAH's works get their releases on 4K/UHD.
RAH's body of work as Archivist matches that of David Lean's oeuvre as Filmmaker;
as both provide the sheerest of excellence within their pursuits of perfection.

Have I cited all of the RAH titles?

"Lawrence of Arabia"
"My Fair Lady"
"Spartacus"
"The Godfather"
"The Godfather, Part II"
"Rear Window"
"Vertigo"

It would be interesting to know how he feels about any or all of these titles, in terms of their making the transition towards 4K/UHD.

They would all work, presumably without HDR.

I did not restore Mad World. You're thinking of the reconstruction. The current release is simply a transfer from large format.

Off the top of my head, add The Godfather, Part III, which I don't consider to be a true restoration, and therefore, did not wish credit as such.

Add two of my favorites.

Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot, VVLA, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

To Be Alive. 35/4, three panel, The S.C. Johnson Company.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks