Any <$200 color printer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Burk, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

May 31, 1999
    Jonathan Burk
    I need a color printer to print out digital pictures (5"x7" would be about as big as I need). I don't want to break the bank on ink, so a seperate black cartridge, and easy re-filling would probably help out.

Are all printers pretty much the same, or is there a brand or model that really stands out?
  2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Nov 5, 1999
    The model that really seems to be standing out right now (and the one I recently selected for myself) is the Canon i850. It sells for $200 at Best Buy, but has a $30 rebate through the end of February. You can see it here.
    The i850 has outstanding picture quality (although the S900 model is the very best, but costs $250) and is very good at text as well. All of the ink tanks are separate, so it's more economical to use than most brands. It has both parallel and USB 2.0 connectivity.
    I don't think you'd be disappointed with this printer.
  3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Jan 31, 2002
    I'd also recommend the i850. If you buy it off an office superstore website with a coupon (ie Staples, OfficeMax, or Office Depot), it comes to about $150 after MIR.

Excellent text speed (about 6ppm on average) and full color prints from 30 seconds up (depending on quality). And the ink tanks are cheap and easy to find online.