What's new

any 16:9 Audition dvd's (any region?) (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
call me a sicko but i really love the film AUDITION. problem is, on a widescreen set it's impossible to scale the nonanamorphic disc properly because the subtitles are in the black bars.

does any region offer the uncut version of the movie in 16:9?

thanks

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
hmm...the PAL version looks like it's 5 min. shorter. PAL speedup wouldn't account for that much of a time difference, would it?

my BravoD2 is multiregion but i have no clue if it does PAL/NTSC conversion....the el-cheapo Apex does, so maybe it does also....

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Audition is a brilliant, devestating piece of work. I noticed that its been selling very good here lately.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I just got the NEW Tartan CE of "Audition" (released in June/July 2004), and am very pleased with it. Unlike the R1 release, it's anamorphic and I prefer the color timing (more natural/less blue... can't say which is most accurate).

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa, I just found out that the R1 dvd is now out of print and commanding big bucks on ebay... the highest one is currently at $87, and amazon marketplace is around the same.

I only bought this one a couple of months ago at Future Shop, kind of glad I did now. Not the greatest dvd, but I like having an OOP dvd in my collection. It is tempting to sell it ;)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well, this can be updated since the SE comes out Tues.

But what is the difference between whats out now and the one coming out Tuesday??

One is an unrated dir cut and the other is an uncut version, both at 115mins.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I bought this 'Uncut Special Edition' but have yet to open it because I read some reviews on Amazon (after I bought it) saying the PQ was terrible. Can anyone comment on the quality because I am close to taking it back.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Wise of all of you to hold off (it is Lion's Gate, after all). And those early reports of a sucky PAL>NTSC transfer? Turns out they were right on the money.

DVD TALK review of "AUDITION": http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17592

^^^^^An excellent review that answered all my questions, and confirmed Lion's Gate's continued status as cellar-dweller among DVD studios. Yes, down there in the depths with New Yorker.

So, after all that time, LGF re-releases an, ahem, "brand-new" transfer, and it turns out to be a sucky, non-progressive, botched PAL>NTSC transfer.

I'll be sticking with my Tartan Asia Extreme version.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
DAMN IT! Lions Gate.

I was all set to watch this on my Halloween Marathon, and now I Can't!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it's watchable (at best, maybe), but if you want the superior transfer (and audio, I suspect) you'll want the UK-R2/PAL Tartan Asia Extreme edition (or the German Rapid Eye one, if it's still in print).

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
The Lion's Gate isn't terrible; however it does look very soft. I finally managed to pick up a copy of Tartan's R2 offering cheaply, and gave away my R1.

I have compared the two directly, which I don't think anyone has actually done yet. They are certainly derived from the same transfer, as color balance, framing look identical. However, probably due to PAL to NTSC conversion, ghosting is present when you use the still function on the R1. It didn't look very noticable in regular playback.

The main difference is simply sharpness; while I wouldn't call the Tartan reference by any means, it beats the new Lion's Gate disc because comparing them shows how much softer the R1 is.

If you're not too fussy, then the R1 offers more extras and an acceptable image. If you want the best with english subtitles, then I think for now its the Tartan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks