Any “Crossover Setup” suggestions/advice for my for new H/K 525?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Pine, Oct 9, 2003.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    My 5.1 system is primarily used for music (80/20). I listen to concert DVD’s, DVD-A’s (non-high res. format) and music CD’s as well. My tastes include Rock, Jazz, Blues and Classical music. With my old Yamaha RX-V530 I was unable to take advantage of the full range of my JBL speakers due to it’s high fixed crossover of 90Hz. But, with my 525 I’ve set all speakers to small and customized the crossover settings, which are listed below. In the H/K setup screen I have SUBWOOFER: SUB (default for main/small setting I think) BASS MGR: GLOBAL. I also have my Velodyne set to 80Hz, which is the highest customized setting for the H/K. I understand that the majority of users on this forum are more geared toward HT cinema applications. But, that said, I would still love to hear some comments and/or suggestions for other possible setup options and tweaks. Thanks!

My 5.1 setup

H/K AVR-525
    Xbox (DVD, CD & low-res DVD-A player)
    JBL S-310 II’s (rated 37Hz……….crossover set @40Hz)
    JBL S-Center II (rated 75Hz………crossover set @80Hz)
    JBL S-36 II’s (rated 60Hz………..crossover set @60Hz)
    Velodyne CHT-12 (rated 25Hz....crossover set

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

That's fine (well maybe try 20Hz higher on each channel) except max out the sub xover or bypass it.

3. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

John, you've got your speakers set up as I would if I were in your shoes. I have the 525 also, and looking at your settings made me think about my set up.

My main speakers (NHT 2.9 each with a dedicated mono sub amp) are rated to 26 Hz, my center/surrounds 75 Hz. Because I have separate amplifiers driving the woofers of my front speakers, I set them as "large". Additionally, I want to use my subwoofer for movies.

My question is do I have to set the subwoofer crossover at 80 Hz so I don't have a hole in the frequency response in the center and surrounds? Or is it okay to set the crossover at 40 Hz and expect the main speakers to reproduce the 40-80 Hz sounds from the center and surrounds?

4. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

This has been brought up before....

The way I understand it is if you have your sub filter at, say, 40 Hz, and you have the center at 80, you will miss out on info between 40-80 Hz from the center. The same applies to the surrounds.

I believe they recommend that you set the sub x-over to the highest of the three high pass values. This should be OK for movies with discrete chanels. But I wonder if you have a problem with 2 channel sources in PL2 or L7. I would think that you would have a 'doubling' of frequencies between your mains high pass and your subs low pass where they overlap. In the above example, for instance, I would think that you would have a problem in the 40-80 Hz range, since both the mains and sub would be working in this area.

5. John Pine

John Pine
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Jason, you are right. Soooooo.......to avoid this issue why couldn't I set the sub crossover to 40Hz for DPLII, Neo6 and L7 instead of 80Hz? For DD & DTS (movies) I would keep it at 80Hz. I don't play VHS movies on this setup. Won't this work if I remove the "GLOBAL" setting?

6. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Actually no[​IMG]

I just got off the phone with tech support this morning (well morning here in HI:b ) I couldn't get seperate x-over settings for each input. I wanted to run 80 Hz all the way around for my DVD input, and for 2 channel analog I wanted 40 Hz.

Apparently, this cannot be done. The manual is wrong. The only thing the 'independent' bass manager setting does is allow you to select 'large' speakers on some inputs while keeping the others 'small'

This is clearly not what the manual says, but according to tech sup the manual is wrong.

So, in other words, you cannot select different x-over settings for each input....bummer

7. John Pine

John Pine
    D*#n, that is a bummer! We can't be the first ones to find this out!

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

No your not, this was actualy discussed if you did a search.
    Also the "rule of thumb" for selecting a HP crossover is to "cut" it above the natural roll of point of the speaker by 1 octave. I.E> if a speaker rated to 40hz one should use the 80hz xo point.
    This of course is a recommendation,nut a definite rule.
    Also this only addresses the electrical part in theory,what's actualy being acoustically projected by speakers is another matter etirelly.