Ants and baits - do they really work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoshi Sugawara, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I sort of have an ant problem in my kitchen, and I don't want to spray Raid all over it, so I bought some Raid ant bait - but the ants don't go near the thing, even though if I clock their trail with it. Can anybody recommend a brand/type of ant bait that actually works?

Sometimes I think ants have evolved a sense of intelligence, sheesh.

2. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

Terro always worked for me. I think raid works ok as well. It usually takes a few days for any of the ants to find the trap, and communicate the "food source" to the others, even if the trap is right in their path. After a few days, no more ants. So let the trap sit out for a while.

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

best thing i've used for ants is plain old Borax. pick up a box in the laundry aisle of your local supermarket for about $3, sprinkle a line of it where you see the ants and they will carry it back to the nest where the boric acid in it will kill the ants. non-toxic to you, your kids, your pets, and it is cheap as hell.[​IMG]

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

When I had this problem, I too, didn't want RAID all over my kitchen. I made up a mixture of baking soda, powdered sugar, and cayenne and sprinkled it all around the baseboards, under the sink, etc. It killed the ants and all you have to do is vacuum the stuff up. Then, as a precautionary measure I got a spray bottle and filled it with a bleach/water solution. Everytime after I cooked and right before bed I would spray down the countertops and all cooking surfaces. The bleach removed all food scent and the ants never came back. That was about 10 years ago and no problems since.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Man, I feel for you Yoshi. I have had a recurring ant problem the last few months. Tiny little buggers known as grease ants. I tried just about every bait made by Raid and various house brands. The one that worked the best by far was Combat ant bait stations. It says right on the box that it uses a new improved formula to attract ants and it work as advertised. The ants would flock to the stuff. The tricks is not to kill them all when you see them. Let them carry the poison (active ingredient: Fipronil) back to the nest and hopefully kill the queen. That said, I have had problems with ants disappearing for a few days or a week and then coming back. Part of this may stem from the fact that I have to pick up the bait stations anytime I leave the house for fear the dogs will get into them. So they aren't on the floor for at least 10-12 hours each day while I'm at work.
    Craig, I've heard many sing the praises of Borax, but I have to tell you, I haven't found a single store here that carries the stuff. In fact, I had a hard time finding plain old boric acid. Home Depot and a local nursey had it (I avoided Home Depot's...it contains a roach pheremone!) and finally got a bottle. I'm still unsure how to use it best. Ideally, I need to find a way to distribute it as a dust. The front half of my house is a dirt crawlspace in the basement and I think it's a haven for bugs. And my kitchen sits right on top of it. That's the best place to use it. As for its lack of toxicity, the container I have says specifically that it shouldn't be ingested, so I'm leery of putting it down anywhere that my dogs might be able to lick it up.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I had an ant problem awhile back in my condo.
    Well me and my friends one weekend had a party there, and the next morning we left, but we left without cleaning up much.
    A week later, i go back to clean up. I was cleaning the cans of coke (which i thought were empty), and i pickup a couple ones that were not finished. I began to see a black moving mass around the bottom of the cans. ANTS! it was gross. Well as i dumped the unfinished cans of coke, ANTS spilled out into the sink.
    However in the end after we cleaned up, i found no more ants! I must've killed the queen when i dumped everything out [​IMG]

7. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Little known fact. Ants hate cinammon and its fatal to them. It obviously has no detrimental side effects to us or our pets. As an added bonus it smells good [​IMG] Give it a try.

8. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Terro.

9. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Ants go on binges. Sometimes they're looking for sugar, other times for proteins. They will usually get to your bait, but it may take a week or so.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ha, after reading this thread, I had to check out the Cinnamon thing, there's some more natural ideas here:
    http://www.tipking.com/Tips/publish/tip_148.shtml
    It mentions the Cinnamon thing and a couple other household ideas....
    Personally, I'll be moving into the local Cinnabon, shortly!
    Jay
    P.S. Ants really do work, whenever I see them, they are always moving around, carrying bits here and there and they never stand still!

11. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

Terro liquid ant baits are the best I've tried.

12. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I had an ant problem a few months ago and tried a tip I'd heard about. I bought some Quick Grits, sprinkled a couple of spoonfuls onto a paper towel and left it on the floor where I'd seen ants. We have a dark kitchen floor so the ants were harder to see. After about 20 minutes I came back and looked close. I saw one of them carrying a "grit." Then I saw more. One grit per ant. The nice thing was, it was very easy to spot and follow this line of dark dots carrying a big white boulder.

I was able to follow their progress from inside my kitchen, to under the back door, to outside and up the side of my building and watch them go into a crevice in the brick, which was surely where their nest was. It was really fascinating. I went back in, took the grits, mixed them up with some boric acid and placed them on a paper towel right under the hole they were using to get out the back door. I wanted to make it easy for them to kill themselves. I'd heard that the ants would ingest the grit, which would absorb the moisture in their bodies, and cause them to explode. The boric acid was just in case. For a while there it was Grand Central Station right by the back door, where hundreds of ants were getting themselves a grit each to take back to the nest. After a couple of days, I didn't see any more ants at all. The big test will come in the spring when I see if they return.

If they do, I'll try Instant Grits, instead of Quick Grits.

13. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

My god do I hate bugs. I just spray raid on the door frames, and the borders of my apartment. At first there was a trail but the spray instantly killed them and I hadn't seen anything since. Spiders on the other hand...yuck. I was walking into my bedroom past my entry way and stepped down and almost stepped on a HUGE spider. It jumped backwards. I mean this thing was tarrantula huge, but it wasn't a tarrantula, I've seen one of those before. I don't know what it was but it was enormous. I quickly smashed that bugger. Never saw another one.