What's new

Antique Speakers, how old are yours? (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
What classifies a speaker as being an antique? I think cars are considered antique at 25 years? Computers are probably considered antique at 25 months with the way they are obsoleted. Anyway, one of the tweeters went out on my main speakers and while I am having it repaired I brought down some speakers from the attic that I bought in '82 that were part of a matched Sansui system. These Sansui speaks have a 12" woofer, a 3" mid and a 1" tweeter. Besides a few nicks on the laminated wood they are still in good shape. I plugged them up and thinking that those 12" woofs would kick some butt I was so surprised that they didn't have much bass at all. The mids and highs were fair and they had a fair sound stage but I sure was surprised at the lack of bass. I have some little JBL bookshelf speakers in another room that puts out more much bass as these guys do. I thought the surrounds on the woofers might be shot so I took the front cover off and all the speakers looked good. I guess woofer size doesn't neccessarily mean it can put bass. Compared to my subwoofer that only has one 12" woofer you think these two woofers could do better. Oh well, I guess in their day they were pretty good but they don't cut the mustard compared to today's speakers.

Anyway, just wondered who else might have old(antique) speakers, what brand they were, and how they sounded compared to your newer speakers.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
my speakers have a build date of 1980. they are magnepan tympani 1D's. they are in almost mind condition (the grills need cleaning, they are dusty.)

as with most older speakers, these are pretty rare and very hard to find, especially in good condition. i wouldnt trade them for anything. i can honestly say that there arent really any speakers out there that i want. these are as good as many that i've heard, with tradeoffs.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
I've a set of Marantz HD88's that I bought brand spanking new around 1975. I've redone the foam surrounds for the woofers and this year, I rebuilt the crossovers and refinished the speakers. The original grills were foam and deteriorated about 12 years ago but I still have the original packaging, the foam plugs and the literature that came with them. I've replace them and right now, they are back in that original packaging. I'm giving them to my daughter for Christmas.

Nan H

Agent
i have a pair of RCA speakers in the garage ( a least i think there RCA)... well i do know that there really old. i'm guessing that these are from the 70's but i'm not really sure. i got them at some yards sale years back, used them, got something better and put them away for another day. there still good speakers, solid wood cabinets with a nice dark cherry color to them. but i can tell that there really old, the wire terminals on the back are flat head screws not spring clips or multi-way binding posts, the crossover is only a capacitor and a simple coil on a simple "pegboard", i think the lining material inside the enclosure could be asbestos (just kidding). the dust-cap is like a circular tube with a flat cardboard top and the magnate on the woofer is square yes square, i guess round magnates were only for the exotic speakers of the day... i guess i could find out the age of these speakers by searching for the model number on-line but by the time i have found it my current speakers would be "antique"

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Pair of Rogers LS3-5A (15 ohm version) BBC-sanctioned nearfield mini-monitors, purchased circa 1976 straight from London, England... ;)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

DonnyD

Screenwriter
JBL L100, bought new in 1978. Until recently, was my mains for my ht system... now being used as mains for my oldest sons ht..... GREAT sounding with a pretty forward and strong midrange. Never any problem with the exception of the grills which were refoamed to original about 10 years ago. Great looking American black walnut finish.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
large advents, bought new in '77 or so. rebuilt last year into a set of doubles, with parts from ebay. center channel is also a double advent, split into 2 bass units (one on either side of the TV) and the tweeters inset into maple blocks on top of the tv. wouldnt replace them for anything but a full set of maggies. not enough room for that anyway.

ag.

JackRI

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Richard
Pair of AR-5 speakers purchased in 1970 while in Viet Nam. Pair of small, cheesy Pioneer speakers purchased at the same time.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I have a pair of Celestion SL6S that I purchased used many years ago. I believe these are from 1983. I still use them in my 2-ch system with a "vintage" Perreaux amp. My pair is in average condition and the matching Celestion stands are in slightly worse condition.

I also have an Intimate Systems Desktop (desktop is the model name) sat-sub set from 1981. This company has been out of business a long time. These are in perfect condition and I currently use them as my computer speakers with a vintage Yamaha recv for power.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had an old pair of floorstanders that were circa ~1975. They were in my dad's garage, and I used them in my first stereo system after I almost completely rebuilt them around 1990. I gave them to my brother, who is now using them in his bedroom.

Nan H

Agent
anybody else have speakers with square magnates on the woofers. (tweeters)? just wondering

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of Phase Research towers circa 1982 or so. I'll bet nobody remembers that company. Originally they were 2 way, rear ported. They were the first ported speakers I had ever seen at that point. When one of the tweeters went dead, I decided to have them totally rebuilt since the foam surrounds were almost shot as well. So, a local high end stereo store rebuilt them into a 3 way system. They could not replace the tweeter that was orinally in the speaker, and they talked me into converting them to 3 way. These are one of a kind. I still use them as my mains, and they still sound very good to me. I've toyed with replacing them over the last couple of years, but I've decided to keep using them until something goes wrong with them. These guys have been with me through numerous moves and changes so I'll have them forever.

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of AR-4x's that I purchased in August of 1967. Had to bypass the tweeter level controls some years ago, but speakers still sound great. AR used butyl surrounds (not foam) and no deterioration even after all these years. Used as main speakers in my basement home theater.

Also obtained a pair of AR-3's from a friend who purchased them new also in 1967. Cleaned the tweeter level controls and these speakers also are running fine. Did have to replace the grill cloth on these, and being used as main speakers in my upstairs home theater.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I've got some old Infinity speakers from the 80s I think. Used for the den upstairs 2 channel stereo. Still rocks, great bass too.

MikeLH

Auditioning
I have a pair of old Pioneer CS-99's I purchased in Guam in 1969. They're in the original boxes sitting in the linen closet. Haven't used them in years and at this point I'm wondering why do we hang on to this stuff. I guess it shows you how sentimental we can be about all our old equipment. As a matter of fact, I just remembered, that I still have an old Sony 8 track recorder up in the attic. It would have been bought in probably 1968. When I retire, I'm definitely not paying to move it!

Mike Hood

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I have a pair of Advents that I bought around 1985. They were speakers three and four of my first stereo system. When I moved into my first house in 1989, I never hooked them up but kept them. When I bought my first home theater system, instead of buying stands for my main bookshelves,I set the mains on the advents. Since they haven't been hooked up since 1989, I can't say how they sound.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I have Advents here as well; I believe they are from around the late 70’s to the early 80’s. I got them for free from my Uncle, he had to have the woofers re-foamed but I am still using them today and I think they sound pretty good, better than some stuff I have heard today. Plus the cabinets are really nice and solid, and have a great polished wood finish; I will probably always hang onto them.

Rick Cohen

Agent
I have a pair of JBL L-100s purchased in 1972. They have the original drivers and are used daily in the home theater. Todays Amps have made them sound better and better with the added power.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Got a pair of Kenwood 888"s I bought new in Okinawa in 1977. 5 way, six speakers in each cabinet. 16 inch woofers. And they still work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks