Anticipation

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Wayde_R, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

I just want to say that I have a lot of hi-fi excitement building in me regarding a move I am making to a bigger house.

My HT room has been 12X16 ft. for years. For the first time in my life I'll be in a room where the seakers aren't in either corner of one end of a room. My new HT room will have a fireplace AND it's 19X31 ft.

So, here are some concerns.

My front speakers are NHT st-4s, NHT SB-3s for rear and NHT SC1 for centre. I use a NAD 2400THX to power my fronts (100WPC) and I have an ArcamAVR200 pre/reciever for 5.1 70WPC. W/Boston Acoustics sub100W10inch woofer.

In the small room that was more than enough power. But in a significantly larger will I still have the horses to push the air around my ears?

I believe so, the audition room I first listened to the Arcam unit at 70Wpc was also quite large and it had seemed to have pleanty of power. Are there any symptoms I might hear of any audible drop off in a larger room?

Also, I only just read in forum about matching speakers with amps/recievers/source etc. Does anyone have an opinion about the matchups I have made? NHT/Arcam/NAD?

Personally I love it. I think NHT and Arcam try to be as neutral as possible, I guess something in between "warm" "bright" and other adjectives I hear. Not sure about NAD.

I welcome opinions and thanks for letting me vent some of my excitement.

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Wayde,

I'm a big NHT fan as well, especially for one of the reasons you pointed out, they are neutral speakers. I have auditioned the ST4's before, and liked them a lot, but like you, needed more sound to fill more space. So, I ended up going with some NHT T5's for fronts, M5 center, and now have some L5 for surrounds. If you like the sound of the ST4, then you'll love the M5's. You may just need the top half of the T5 comobo, the M5's, since you already have a sub, but the T5's are pretty formidable. Actually, with your room size, it may not hurt to check out the M6's as well.

Also, I have read several posts on avsforum.com, that traditionally NHT's match very well with NAD equipment. Also, that 10" woofer may feel a little underpowered in such a big room, so maybe check out the T5's or T6's. I think you'll be pleasantly impressed. Oh, and if you audition them, make sure to take some of your favorite CD's and DVD's. For DVD's, just try the depth charged scene out of U-571, and listen to how the T5's alternate the explosions, it's mind boggling. Don't really have any experience with Arcam. If you have any further questions about the NHT Evolution line, just let me know. No, I do not work for NHT, just a very firm believer in their products and the value you receive out of them.

3. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jon

Thanks for the good words about NHT. I am also an enthusiast of their gear. I was thrilled that the Super line allowed me to know NHT quality on a "FutureShop" budget. I like to find gear made by companies that also make high end stuff, but buy their cheaper things. I did the same w/ Arcam receiver.

I have read where the tweeter in my ST-4 is the same tweeter out of their multi thousand dollar speakers. That makes me feel good about my purchase. I've looked "FutureShop" speakers and saw that it seems to be vogue to put in 'fake' aluminum dome tweeters. I was shocked that a well known brand did this on big speakers that were priced much more than my NHTst-4s. But maybe there is a reason for it beyond my understanding, but it sure looked cheap to me to see a flexible plastic dome posing as aluminum. Reminds me of the giant "passive radiators" and fake 'electrostat tweeters' I used to see back in the 80s.

Who knows in years to come I might look for the Evolution line as I piecemeal some upgrades in. I'm still trying to figure out how they work, they look pretty 'trippy'. But I am sure they're well ahead of my budget (for now). I've got a couple of other components to round out my kit before I think about upgrading from the ST-4s.

But I do love the ST-4s, they really broke in nicely. Finely detailed is what comes to mind. I never been wanting for power. The ST-4's have subs built in, w/ my separate sub for LFE I've really got bass to spare. In fact I've had to neuter my Boston sub by keeping the volume and crossover turned way down. I sometimes setup my gear in a bigger room in "co-op" (I am moving from) and I only begin to appreciate the punchiness of my sub in bigger space, it's too boomy in that small room.

Anyway, thanks for the chat about NHT. Drop me any news you hear or new reviews on them.