What's new

anti-widescreen websites (1 Viewer)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
From the www.widescreen.org website faq
If you still have your doubts, then ask the people whose lives revolve around filmmaking. Contact the cinematography/visual arts professor(s) at your local college, university, or technical school. They will confirm that the information which is provided on this site is the actual truth. No anti-widescreen web site will be able to make that claim!
I figured for a good laugh I would visit the anti-widescreen sites. But I cant seem to find any. I just get pro-widescreen sites talking about how incorect the anti sites are.
Does anyone know of some anti-widescreen sites that would make for a good laugh?
Just so there is no doubt I am extreamly PRO OAR, NO OAR = NO SALE!!!!! Cant wait for my Definitive Collect Star Wars OT LD's to come in. :) Now all I need is a LD player :frowning:

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Here's one that pops up on the boards occasionally:
Lettershlocking
I can't tell if it's a joke or if this guy is serious. It's so "out there" it's got to be a joke. I emailed the guy just to test the waters and see what his response would be. I got a reply that said "We do not tollerate communicating with lettershlocking proponents." (Or something to that effect.)
Enjoy! ;)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Damn. After reading a fiew other posts I saw this one got like 15 hits and a reply in about 5 min. Mabey I hit a nerve :)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Thanks for the good laugh. Thanks that made the day a little better. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!! That has to be some of the funniest fodder I've ever read. Bernie J. Farber, J6P Extraordnaire. :laugh:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I was gonna say this in an earlier thread, but it got closed- Bernie Farber's got to be a joke. One dead giveaway was when DIVX was out the site had some pro-DIVX comments, and a statement demanding they make players that only play DIVX discs and not DVDs. I wonder how often whoever really put that website up goes around looking for comments like these? ;)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Someone needs to tell this guy widescreen isn't a Hollywood ploy to make us all run out and buy new TV sets. Movies have been in widescreen for decades. Part of the reason is because our eyes are placed horizontally so we naturally see things more like a reectangle than a square. Just makes the viewing experience more immersive. That's IT!

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Scott: I'm sorry but that's not it at all. Movies were originally projected in a 4:3 aspect ratio. With the introduction of TV, however, weekly attendance at U.S. movie theaters plummeted from 90 million in 1946 to 46 million in 1955. Hence the birth of 3D and widescreen.... as a way to distinguish the silver screen from the small screen. 3D technology actually came before widescreen. So it is a Hollywood ploy... just one that we've grown to adopt and love. :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Daniel, yea I knew of that reason too. :) They wanted to make something different form what you could get at home. But it's true we naturally see things wider than we do taller. It all just worked out in the end I guess. But shooting films in 1.77:1+ is still NOT a ploy to make us run out and buy Widescreen sets. I'm pretty sure they didn't have those in the 50's. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks