Anti Spam Software for Outlook and Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Parker Clack, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I get about 500 emails a day and about 10 that are legitimate. I have used several different programs to some degree or another that work well but I use Outlook Express for my email program and I wanted something that worked directly with it.

I was looking around download.com and they listed a program called Qurb. It is a great program that scans your present emails that you have in your inbox, saved folders, etc. that you have already and lists them as accepted. The rest of the emails that you get are put in a quarantined folder for you that you can look over and pick and choose which emails in that list you want to accept. The accepted ones are added to your list of approved emails and you will get them the next time you go and get your mail. The rest will stay in your quarantined folder and you and delete them or setup the software to remove them after so many days.

It also comes with an option that will send out an email to the person sending you an email requesting that they reply to the email you send them so they are automatically put on your accepted list.

So if you use Outlook or Outlook Express and you want to have a program that removes all the spam for you then I would suggest taking a look at this little program. It really does the job right.

Parker

2. Parker Clack

Parker
    I get about 500 emails a day and about 10 that are legitimate. I have used several different programs to some degree or another that work well but I use Outlook Express for my email program and I wanted something that worked directly with it.

I was looking around download.com and they listed a program called Qurb. It is a great program that scans your present emails that you have in your inbox, saved folders, etc. that you have already and lists them as accepted. The rest of the emails that you get are put in a quarantined folder for you that you can look over and pick and choose which emails in that list you want to accept. The accepted ones are added to your list of approved emails and you will get them the next time you go and get your mail. The rest will stay in your quarantined folder and you and delete them or setup the software to remove them after so many days.

It also comes with an option that will send out an email to the person sending you an email requesting that they reply to the email you send them so they are automatically put on your accepted list.

So if you use Outlook or Outlook Express and you want to have a program that removes all the spam for you then I would suggest taking a look at this little program. It really does the job right.

Parker

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Sounds good.

I've been using MailWasher for months now, with excellent results, and my spam % has diminished geometrically. I highly recommend this program, regardless of the e-mail client one is using.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Sounds good.

I've been using MailWasher for months now, with excellent results, and my spam % has diminished geometrically. I highly recommend this program, regardless of the e-mail client one is using.

5. Parker Clack

Parker
    I tried using MailWasher but like all the other programs it is outside of Outlook. Qurb puts a toolbar in Outlook and Outlook Express so you run it from within your mail client.

As below:

/images/qurbtoolbar.jpg

I like MailWasher just fine. I just wanted something that was already integrated with Outlook Express instead of another program that when done still required you to launch your email program.

As I said the real benefit with this program is with those that use Outlook or Outlook Express.

Parker

6. Parker Clack

Parker
    I tried using MailWasher but like all the other programs it is outside of Outlook. Qurb puts a toolbar in Outlook and Outlook Express so you run it from within your mail client.

As below:

/images/qurbtoolbar.jpg

I like MailWasher just fine. I just wanted something that was already integrated with Outlook Express instead of another program that when done still required you to launch your email program.

As I said the real benefit with this program is with those that use Outlook or Outlook Express.

Parker

7. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I found a great free program called SpamBayes. It only works with Outlook but it does a great job. It uses baysian filtering to filter out spam and is easy to train.

8. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I found a great free program called SpamBayes. It only works with Outlook but it does a great job. It uses baysian filtering to filter out spam and is easy to train.

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Packy, Outlook Express is an awful app in terms of security. Even Microsoft have given up on it.

Take a look at Thunderbird - a freeware mail app written by the Mozilla people:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

It has spam controls built-in and is about three million times more secure than OE.

You might want to investitage thier Firefox web browser too, for the same reasons.

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Packy, Outlook Express is an awful app in terms of security. Even Microsoft have given up on it.

Take a look at Thunderbird - a freeware mail app written by the Mozilla people:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

It has spam controls built-in and is about three million times more secure than OE.

You might want to investitage thier Firefox web browser too, for the same reasons.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I found this program: Outclass from a post that I could not find but it's a Bayerisan filter that runs on Outlook that works really well. When I was forced to use outlook, I installed that and it ran pretty good.

Jay

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I found this program: Outclass from a post that I could not find but it's a Bayerisan filter that runs on Outlook that works really well. When I was forced to use outlook, I installed that and it ran pretty good.

Jay

13. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Outlook 2003 has built in spam filtering that does an amazingly good job. They periodically update their algorithms to try and stay a step ahead of the game. My work account went from around 100 spams a day down to 10 a day that get by the filter. I suggest you try upgrading to 2003 as a first step.

14. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Outlook 2003 has built in spam filtering that does an amazingly good job. They periodically update their algorithms to try and stay a step ahead of the game. My work account went from around 100 spams a day down to 10 a day that get by the filter. I suggest you try upgrading to 2003 as a first step.

15. Parker Clack

Parker
    I agree that the Outlook filtering does a great job and that their are other email programs out there that do a great job too. I personally don't like Outlook.

I just found this little program that does a great job for those people that like to use Outlook Express (which shoot me but I like it) and it does a great job for me. This is a personal opinion and like many other things a personal preference.

Thanks for all the other suggestions with spam mail growing each day any program that people can use with their email client to keep this crap down people should know about.

16. Parker Clack

Parker
    I agree that the Outlook filtering does a great job and that their are other email programs out there that do a great job too. I personally don't like Outlook.

I just found this little program that does a great job for those people that like to use Outlook Express (which shoot me but I like it) and it does a great job for me. This is a personal opinion and like many other things a personal preference.

Thanks for all the other suggestions with spam mail growing each day any program that people can use with their email client to keep this crap down people should know about.

17. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Cheers to that [​IMG]

My dad is friends with the owner of www.spamstopshere.com. Its a service that takes a little bit of a different approuch. Worth checking out.

18. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Cheers to that [​IMG]

My dad is friends with the owner of www.spamstopshere.com. Its a service that takes a little bit of a different approuch. Worth checking out.

19. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Spambayes. It was mentioned up there. Take another look at it if you haven't already.

It's a so-called bayesian filtering program that learns as it goes. I hear in best-case scenarios it can hit 98 or 99% effectiveness.

It also works on non-Outlook clients! It's available as either a plugin for Outlook or a proxying application you can run on your computer so any POP3-capable mail program can use it to filter. The proxy is configurable via a web browser.

Definitely start there, then look at the others. It's free, too.

20. Chris

Chris Lead Actor