What's new

Anti-piracy techniques spawn anti-anti-piracy techniques spawn anti-anti-anti-piracy (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
It states that a copyright holder may not delete files from users' hard drives, but it limits the rights of users to sue should files be inadvertently deleted.
"Oops, we're sorry, we didn't mean to delete the records for your business and take out your backup server, too. Oh well!" Then you have no recourse.

This bill is very, very bad. Everyone here should be afraid. To bring this point home, the Home Theater Forum, like any other server, operates on shared bandwidth. Do you know what happens if someone on the same network as this forum is "suspected of being a pirate?" You guessed it: The Home Theater Forum goes offline, too, right along with every other system on the same network. That's what denial of service attacks do.

Now blow this up into a few hundred servers being attacked, and imagine the damage it will do to thousands of other innocent people who happen to share bandwidth with the "suspect". This isn't right.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
That's bullshit. P2P software is not illegal
Exactly!!! Its music with unpaid-for licenses thats illegal. And, even if you do have illegal MP3s on your hard drive, this type of action is NOT the way the American legal system works.

"You have illegal marijuana in your house, therefore, rather than demand you turn the illegal substance over to the proper authorities, pay a fine, and go to jail, we will burn your house down instead"

Kevin P

Screenwriter
There have been threads on this already. Basically since the DMCA was passed, the entertainment industry is trying to see how far they can go.
P2P industry observers note that possibilities may include denial-of-service ( news - web sites) attacks caused by a flood of falsely named files; worms and viruses; or hijacking of domain names.
The type of "denial of service" being described here isn't the traditional "flood the network with packets/crash the server" DoS attack, instead they would just place bogus files on the network to thwart downloaders. In any case, it won't work, as the P2P geeks will simply add filters or block out those posting bogus files.
Using worms and viruses are too risky, as they can spread or cause damage beyond those downloading "illegal" MP3s. But if they did try that, let me know first so I can buy stock in Symantec and McAfee. :)
Hijacking domains won't work either; most P2P users are using an ISP's domain, not their own. Imagine if the RIAA hijacked a major domain like aol.com they'd be skinned alive. Besides, even if the domain doesn't work anymore, you can still use IP addresses to access servers.
If they do start breaking into servers or home PCs to do their dastardly deeds, I can see two good things coming out of it. One is I'll get rich offering security services for home network users; the second is the Internet community will itself become more security conscious and will take steps to protect themselves not just from the RIAA gestapos but traditional hackers, crackers, and viruses/worms as well. If it reduces the number of Klez-infected emails people receive, then this is a good thing. :)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Big discussion on Slashdot about this here
I think the entertainment industry's justification for this is tenuous at best. It's analagous to saying that they should be allowed to break into your house or steal from you if they think you've got their property. At the very least, their 'attacks' on end users can't go without hurting the ISPs that they go through - thus impacting OTHER users. Heck, I'd be pissed if the RIAA launched a DoS attack on a cable modem customer in my neighborhood and bogged down my connection to a crawl. This should definitely hurt ISP as well and run them into trouble with their constomers, especially if they have a service level agreement in place.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
*bump*

I can't believe this thread has generated so little interest. More and more, my belief that most people just don't give a damn is confirmed.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, I think that we are all on the same side, so that doesn't leave much to debate. My only question would be if I had a firewall up, could they still break in?

Glenn

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My only question would be if I had a firewall up, could they still break in?
no doubt, it'd just be (a lot) harder. no one is safe when they're hooked up to the internet, even with the "most secure" software. there are always flaws and loopholes...

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It depends on what type of attack tactic they use... if they attempt to gain access to YOUR computer through an open port or shared folder, a properly configured firewall should keep them out... but, if they attempt to sabotage a P2P network by posting bogus files on it, well then there's not much you can do about that.

Note that by sharing files on a P2P network you're in essence granting public access to folders on your PC. Anyone on the P2P network can then gain access to these files (presumably to download them). Hackers, or the RIAA can use this feature of P2P to perform malicious actions. For example, they could post Trojan horse files that open ports on victim's computers when they download and run them. Once the port is open, anyone with a compatible client can gain access (though a firewall can help prevent this). Or someone could post virus infected files (heck, this happens already, even without the RIAA's help).

Participating on a P2P network (or any network for that matter) implies some compromises in security. But if you don't share any folders (or don't participate in P2P), and use a firewall and anti-virus software (keep it up to date!), and use normal precautions when downloading files or opening email attachments, the RIAA shouldn't be able to gain access to your PC, short of breaking down the door to your house.

KJP

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Ryan, I with you on this. Its complete shit. I REALLY think the stupid RIAA and the MPAA need to pull their heads out and realize that they need to stop fighting the digital movement and instead find a way to harness it. Its time for these ass clowns to move into the 90s!

-Marshall

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
My only question would be if I had a firewall up, could they still break in?
First they'll make firewalls illegal. If the Church Of Scientology managed to win a case in court forcing Google to remove all links to Anti-Scientology sites claiming that altered pics of the organizations leaders are a violation of copyright material, I can see why making companies stop making firewall since they can be used to interfere with the application of laws very likely... Just like making a car with radar waves absorbant material is illegal since it prevents the police from proving you were speeding.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If they outlaw firewalls then only outlaws will have firewalls... and I'd be one of the outlaws :rolleyes
Outlawing firewalls would be like outlawing locks on doors--it is quite unlikely to happen. Well, if it does, I'll move to another country.
KJP

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
ThomasC, you do know the Onion is a satire site? All the stories are made up...

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I think that if nothing else, Music piracy has raised the bar for the RIAA. By creating formats such as SACD and DVD-A they not only make it harder to distribute over the internet, but create an overall greater product.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
This will never happen. The recording industry would love to shut down file sharing sites but they can't even do that right. Napster goes down but half a dozen sites that offer an even better selection instantly spring up. Now I'm supposed to believe that the recording industry is going to forcibly delete files on my cpu? First off the law would never pass. And even if it did 'outlaws' would find a way to bypass the shutdown faster than it could be implemented.

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator
Basically we are seeing a desperate bunch of old timers being dragged kicking and screaming into a new age. We've seen it before, these fat cats just want to hold on to their outdated buisness model. Didn't this happen exactly with the invention of the vcr? Look at how they screamed piracy then, but eventually they harnessed this new found technology.

This bill shows that congress can be easily bought and paid for to meet the temporary needs of the day. Sorry, trying to not get political either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks