Anti-piracy techniques spawn anti-anti-piracy techniques spawn anti-anti-anti-piracy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...27/bs_nf/19526
    When will someone show a recording studio executive how a computer works? Necessity is the mother of invention, and it seems like the ability to continue to get free stuff usually constitutes a pretty big necessity. The music industry needs to redefine their product delivery methods.

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

3. Charles J P

CJ Paul

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

There have been threads on this already. Basically since the DMCA was passed, the entertainment industry is trying to see how far they can go.

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Big discussion on Slashdot about this here
    I think the entertainment industry's justification for this is tenuous at best. It's analagous to saying that they should be allowed to break into your house or steal from you if they think you've got their property. At the very least, their 'attacks' on end users can't go without hurting the ISPs that they go through - thus impacting OTHER users. Heck, I'd be pissed if the RIAA launched a DoS attack on a cable modem customer in my neighborhood and bogged down my connection to a crawl. This should definitely hurt ISP as well and run them into trouble with their constomers, especially if they have a service level agreement in place.

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

*bump*

I can't believe this thread has generated so little interest. More and more, my belief that most people just don't give a damn is confirmed.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ryan, I think that we are all on the same side, so that doesn't leave much to debate. My only question would be if I had a firewall up, could they still break in?

Glenn

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It depends on what type of attack tactic they use... if they attempt to gain access to YOUR computer through an open port or shared folder, a properly configured firewall should keep them out... but, if they attempt to sabotage a P2P network by posting bogus files on it, well then there's not much you can do about that.

Note that by sharing files on a P2P network you're in essence granting public access to folders on your PC. Anyone on the P2P network can then gain access to these files (presumably to download them). Hackers, or the RIAA can use this feature of P2P to perform malicious actions. For example, they could post Trojan horse files that open ports on victim's computers when they download and run them. Once the port is open, anyone with a compatible client can gain access (though a firewall can help prevent this). Or someone could post virus infected files (heck, this happens already, even without the RIAA's help).

Participating on a P2P network (or any network for that matter) implies some compromises in security. But if you don't share any folders (or don't participate in P2P), and use a firewall and anti-virus software (keep it up to date!), and use normal precautions when downloading files or opening email attachments, the RIAA shouldn't be able to gain access to your PC, short of breaking down the door to your house.

KJP

10. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Ryan, I with you on this. Its complete shit. I REALLY think the stupid RIAA and the MPAA need to pull their heads out and realize that they need to stop fighting the digital movement and instead find a way to harness it. Its time for these ass clowns to move into the 90s!

-Marshall

11. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If they outlaw firewalls then only outlaws will have firewalls... and I'd be one of the outlaws [​IMG]
    Outlawing firewalls would be like outlawing locks on doors--it is quite unlikely to happen. Well, if it does, I'll move to another country.
    KJP

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

ThomasC, you do know the Onion is a satire site? All the stories are made up...

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

yeah, i know. [​IMG]

16. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I think that if nothing else, Music piracy has raised the bar for the RIAA. By creating formats such as SACD and DVD-A they not only make it harder to distribute over the internet, but create an overall greater product.

17. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    This will never happen. The recording industry would love to shut down file sharing sites but they can't even do that right. Napster goes down but half a dozen sites that offer an even better selection instantly spring up. Now I'm supposed to believe that the recording industry is going to forcibly delete files on my cpu? First off the law would never pass. And even if it did 'outlaws' would find a way to bypass the shutdown faster than it could be implemented.

18. Charles J P

CJ Paul

19. ollie_k

ollie_k Stunt Coordinator

Basically we are seeing a desperate bunch of old timers being dragged kicking and screaming into a new age. We've seen it before, these fat cats just want to hold on to their outdated buisness model. Didn't this happen exactly with the invention of the vcr? Look at how they screamed piracy then, but eventually they harnessed this new found technology.

This bill shows that congress can be easily bought and paid for to meet the temporary needs of the day. Sorry, trying to not get political either.