Anti Blockbuster?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Josh Sieg, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

Am I the only one who refuses to purchase used DVDs from Blockbuster because of the stupid cases they put them in? I'll only buy if its a cardboard flipper (like that's something to talk about anyway).

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    It steamed me a little when they switched to their own cases. In fact, I hung onto a bunch of them (I sometimes buy a lot of used DVDs from them) and took in about 20 or 25 cases and had them exchange them for regular ones. That was a one time thing, since they don't have the regular cases to trade anymore.

Anyway, I got over it. I still don't like their cases, but I just watch for DVD case sales at Office Depot or Office Max and stock up a little then. I put the used DVDs in them and just toss the Blockbuster cases.

If I'm getting DVDs at 3 for $20, I can toss in an extra $0.30 each for a case.

3. Andrew_PD

Andrew_PD Extra

Which are those damn 2 disc Amary Cases where the discs sit on each side which means there are no clips for the booklet?

4. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

I don't refuse to buy them at all. Empty blank cases are so cheap these days it's not even worth getting upset about. The BB case goes right in the trash, and life goes on.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I usually just go the Columbia House route now.

6. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

My Blockbuster keeps a stockpile of the regular cases just lying around. Whenever I buy used DVDs I just ask for a few of the regular cases.

7. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

Don't they cut the cover on the sides to make it fit?

8. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    I haven't stepped into a Blockbuster this century.

I'm really just bragging, but it's true.

-Reagan

9. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    My nearest Blockbuster seems a little more collector friendly than others, probably because the manager is a collector herself. Last time I made a purchase she offered to swap out the rental case for an original she pulled from the display rack. With releases that are packaged in cardboard I try to be a little more picky and usually BB keeps the packaging intact. Can't say the same for Hollywood Video.

Actually my latest annoyance with BB is when they stick their white, hard-to-remove back sticker on the insert rather than the case. Mineral spirits still does the trick but I see the sticker placement as unnecessary and cruel.

Awhile back I bought a box of DVD cases off eBay for about 50 cents (maybe less) a piece. Those have lasted me awhile should I want to make any swaps.

10. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

I recently bought T3 used at Blockbuster and it came in a normal case and all of the other movies were in normal cases too. I guess I go to one of the better Blockbusters.

11. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

No I boycott Ballbuster due to their fraudulent tactics nothing more. When I watch a movie it sure as hell better not be censored by Joe Uptight!!! [​IMG]

12. Eric_R.

Eric_R. Stunt Coordinator

I don't even bother to rent there anymore. They treat their disks like absolute crap and there were scratches galore on the disks. It's just too expensive to rent a movie for two days. I can't wait to try Netflix and see how that is.

13. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    If I'm buying a used movie from a rental firm, at a discount, I am mainly concerned with the disc. I don't care about the case it comes in.

I appreciate being able to buy movies for 1/3 to 1/2 off!

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

what the bleep does that mean?
    almost every time a unrated version is available it is the one stocked.
    swimming pool for example.

i know requiem for a dream was the rated r version but that was a long time ago.
    chet maybe it's your local store that is the problem.

15. Eric_R.

Eric_R. Stunt Coordinator

They looked at the disk and didn't notice the loads of scratches on it. Its kinda sad. I should have complained.

16. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    the disc doctor works well for me, they should try it every once in a while. i avoid ballbuster at all costs. they are just way too expensive, and we have massive video, a rental place down the street which is, not surprisingly, massive. the selection is way better than bb too. pretty sad how most people think that bb has every movie that anyone would ever want to see, just because they are the most recognizable chain that rents movies.

CJ