Anthony Mann's "Men in War" DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jay E, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Just picked up the Geneon DVD of Anthony Mann's great Korean War film Men in War for $5, and I have to say that this is one of the best bargains ever! The transfer is very nice in itself, but a for a cheap public domain DVD, it is fantastic.

I implore anyone who loves this film & doesn't own it to go and pick it up fast!

Here is a link so you can see what the cover looks like (it is a slimpak):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

2. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Jay - It mentions a release date of 1957, but a place I usually buy from lists it as fullscreen. I'm wondering if this is the proper oar?

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

As far as I know, that is the original aspect ratio.

DVD Beaver reviewed a DVD of this film from France and stated that it is the OAR.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Men in War was composed for 1.37. I have the French edition and the transfer is gorgeous. Good to see it back in print in the U.S. and that the transfer is good.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Are you guys sure about the OAR? Also, I thought I watched it years ago in letterbox on the television. AFI states it was a widescreen ratio.

Crawdaddy

6. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

Gordon, could you please explain as I thought there were no films after 1954(?)composed in that ratio. Also does the film have any changeover cue marks. Their location maybe a clue. If they about a third of the way down this may indicate that the projection of this film was intended for widescreen, despite the fact that it was shot full frame.

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Hi, Stephen. Quite a few films were shot in and composed for 1.37:1 during the widescreen boom of 1954-1959; Kubrick's The Killing (1956) and Paths of Glory (1957) are the most famous examples, but others don't spring readily to mind. Patrick McCart and others will reel off a few more.

DVD Beaver reviewed the French disc HERE

As you can see, it is a stunning transfer and framing looks good in 1.33, although there does seem to be space for 1.66 matting, but that doesn't mean it was composed for 1.66 projection. 1.37 is more in keeping with the style of the film, anyway.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I'm still not convinced that this film wasn't shot in 1.85:1 widescreen.

Crawdaddy

9. eric tengren

eric tengren Stunt Coordinator

I picked up this dvd for 4 bucks and it is a great war flick.I think it is the inspiration for the tv show COMBAT! I saw this on tcm years ago or something and it was fullframe but I am not sure,after Sam Fuller's THE STEEL HELMET this is one of the best war is hell flix. lemme give a shout out to HELL IS FOR HEROES and ATTACK!

10. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

Looking at the title sequences of both The Killing and Paths Of Glory it is obvious to me that they were meant to be projected at 1.85:1. You can safely crop the 1.37:1 frame of both pictures to 1.85:1 and the blocks of text are centred nicely without chopping off any text. Try that with a picture that was really meant to be shown in 1.37:1 and you will more than likely chop off some of the text.

Wouldn't most theaters have made the conversion to panoramic screens by 1955 anyway (ie they would have been incapable of showing movies in the 1.37:1 format as they did not have the proper screens anymore)?

11. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hey Jay... take a look at this thread - we were discussing several of these a few months back and there were a few pleasant surprises.

Herb.

12. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

That's funny Herb, I never saw that original thread but I just ordered a few of these today for around $4 after seeing how nice Men in War looked:

Cover Up
    Crooked Way, The
    Cry Of Battle
    Without Honor