Anthony Mann Westerns, etc...Universal>Criterion?, MGM/WB, Paramount

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Hertzberg, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    THE FAR COUNTRY was just shown cropped on AMC the other day and it got me thinking again about all those great Anthony Mann-Jimmy Stewart collaborations, done mostly through the auspices of Universal.

I already own Columbia's THE MAN FROM LARAMIE and I would love to add WINCHESTER '73, THE FAR COUNTRY, BEND OF THE RIVER, THUNDER BAY, and THE GLENN MILLER STORY from Universal. Perhaps these, or some of these, could be licensed out to Criterion. I'm especially interested in the westerns. From Warner's MGM library, THE NAKED SPUR and Paramount's STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND.

How about these other Mann titles?

Warner (MGM): BORDER INCIDENT, SIDE STREET, DEVIL'S DOORWAY, THE TALL TARGET, CIMARRON
    Paramount: THE TIN STAR, THE FURIES
    Columbia: THE LAST FRONTIER
    Warner: SERENADE
    MGM (UA): MEN OF THE WEST
    ???: EL CID

Jon

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Agree with this 100%. I e-mailed Criterion about the lack (none) of Westerns in their catalogue and suggested that they consider their inclusion. Among some other specifics, I suggest “The Naked Spur”.

Their reply, though polite was not particularly encouraging. Mostly went along the lines of not being able to disclose future projects.

3. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

I've got BEND OF THE RIVER, THE FAR COUNTRY and WINCHESTER 72 on laserdisc and Columbia's excellent MAN FROM LARAMEE DVD. As fine as these discs are, new transfers would be great and I'd love to see as many other Mann titles on DVD.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    You have my support. I'd buy all the Mann/Stewart movies. Also, why not throw in Night Passage, which was originally to be directed by Mann? He didn't think much of it, but it's entertaining and the location work is beautiful.