What's new

Anthem...worth it, if you got it... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I like em, always wanted to try ARC. Faster HDMI switching, dual speaker configs, 20 input configs, ARC 1M. Definitely interesting, will be watching reviews on these. Prices even seem more reasonable than normal for Anthem....

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'vr always wanted to try a "higher end" avr - Anthem, Arcam, NAD, Rotel, etc - but never pulled the trigger. Just don't have any need/reason to replace my little Pioneer VSX-23 (same as the 1018) in my family room and a Marantz 7005 is working out O.K. (I guess) in the livingroom.

They seem to hold their value a bit better as well. Not as many great deals to be found on used models. I could have bought an Anthem 700 a few months ago for $1000 but...

I did have an old (2005?) Adcom GFR700 a while back. Outstanding sound quality and power but a nightmare to use, at least compared to newer avr's. I think I should have kept it but I guess I sold it for a reason. Probably frustration.

jamweiser

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
After researching a new avr for last year or less, i decided to listen to the receiver of choices at worst buy, and a local stereo shop, recently. I narrowed my choices down to the yamaha 2030, denon x4000, marantz 7008, and the anthem mrx 510. I wanted a receiver that sounded good in 2 channel, and figured any choice will sound good in 5.1. I upgraded from an onkyo 606, that was suffering from hdmi issues.

Was blown away by the sound of the 310 and the 510, when initially listened at local shop. yamaha was bright sounding, but detailed. denon came off as too harsh, on two separate times listening to it. On paper, i wanted to go with the denon, but couldn't get past the harsh sound. the marantz sound great, so the choice came down to marantz or anthem.

I decided to purchase an anthem mrx 510 last week, and been playing with since thursday nite. I'm really digging the dual speaker configuration, the faster & silent hdmi switching, customization of inputs. Messed around with the manual level calibration, for the 1st few days. Got time to run arc yesterday afternoon, and is quite a simple task, although i did screw up, and will need to rerun sometime (forgot to locate speakers from mlp, prior to running arc)...

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I find the Anthem processors (on the high end) really expensive, but they're good units. Still very happy with my Marantz AV8801 after all, and like it much better than the Anthem AVM 50V 3D

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
jamweiser said:
After researching a new avr for last year or less, i decided to listen to the receiver of choices at worst buy, and a local stereo shop, recently. I narrowed my choices down to the yamaha 2030, denon x4000, marantz 7008, and the anthem mrx 510. I wanted a receiver that sounded good in 2 channel, and figured any choice will sound good in 5.1. I upgraded from an onkyo 606, that was suffering from hdmi issues.Was blown away by the sound of the 310 and the 510, when initially listened at local shop. yamaha was bright sounding, but detailed. denon came off as too harsh, on two separate times listening to it. On paper, i wanted to go with the denon, but couldn't get past the harsh sound. the marantz sound great, so the choice came down to marantz or anthem.I decided to purchase an anthem mrx 510 last week, and been playing with since thursday nite. I'm really digging the dual speaker configuration, the faster & silent hdmi switching, customization of inputs. Messed around with the manual level calibration, for the 1st few days. Got time to run arc yesterday afternoon, and is quite a simple task, although i did screw up, and will need to rerun sometime (forgot to locate speakers from mlp, prior to running arc)...
Cant say that Im surprised with your results, at all. To this day I miss the Marantz sound with only a Emotiva preamp rivalling what I heard from Marantz. The Yamaha I run now was a steal, and usability and flexibility is off the hook, but it just cant touch my former Marantz or Emotiva in the sound quality department.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If Anthem offered...Height orDTS Neo XI'd be all over one. The dual speaker set up would be great. I have the room tuned for "screen down" and back the center off 2db when the plasma is in use.

jamweiser

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
schan1269 said:
If Anthem offered...Height orDTS Neo XI'd be all over one. The dual speaker set up would be great.
That was a slight concern/worry, only due to the fact we are looking at upgrading/moving to a bigger house, and not knowing what living/family/great room layout may be... Would like a dedicated theater room, but not a priority on the wish list...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks