Anthem PVA 5 or the Rotel RMB 1075?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Diesel, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you out there had a chance to test these 2 amps? I bought the Rotel RSX 1055 not to long ago and it's awesome I love it the sound it great but I keep on reading that for really good sound separates is the way to go. So I talked to my Rotel dealer and he said I have up to 4 months to trade in my RSX 1055 for some thing else and I'll get full credit for it. They said if I wanted the RSP 1066 it would cost me an extra $100CAD I figure that's not bad seen that the retail price is $200 more and then taxes.
    So here it is, if I did trade in the RSX 1055 for the RSP 1066 I would need an amp to go with it. The 2 amps that I was looking at are the Rotel RMB 1075 (5x125watts) or the Anthem PVA 5 (5x105watts continuous). Is there a big difference between the two which one sounds better for music is the extra 20watts in power a big deal?

Or should I just forget about going with separates and get the RSX 1065?

Thanks for any input.

2. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I haven't heard the Rotel which makes very good products but I just got my Anthem PVA 7 and it's made a huge differnce from just using my HK 320. It's really night and day, I don't think you would go wrong with either.

Rotel

It's not in there archives but Stereophile guide to home theater did a review of the Anthem AVM20 and PVA 7. Both the Rotel and the Anthem were favorable.

3. Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson Agent

For what it is worth the recent edition of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater rated the PVA 7 as AAA class and the Rotel 1075 as AA class. They rated the 1095 as AAA but it is twice the price of the 1075.

What is the price of the PVA 5 versus the PVA 7? Just curious. I have a PVA 7.

I don't think either amp would be a bad choice

4. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

I just called the only store chain in Vancouver that I know of who caries Anthem products which is Audio video Unlimited and here are the prices of the 2 amps.

PVA 5 $1649
    PVA 7 $2249

These are retail prices and I'm sure that I can get a better price on them.

Dan

5. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I recently demoed the Anthem PVA-2 against the Rotel RB-1070, and to my ears, with my speakers, the Rotel was MUCH better than the Anthem.

I have Paradigm Monitor speakers that have a slightly bright/forward sound, and the Anthem was too much for those speakers. The Rotel helped to tame some of the brightness associated with my speakers, and I just love their sound now, especially with music.

So, it basically depends what speakers the amps will be driving, and what your personal tastes are. Do yourself a favor and demo both of the amps in your system (if possible) and choose the amp that sounds best to you.

6. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

Well it would be kind of hard for me to demo both of the amps at the same time in my home.
    But at far as the speakers that I will be using or the ones that I have are the Paradigm Studio 60's the 20's and the Studio CC. The 60's are the main and the 20's are the surrounds. I have no sub yet but may be in a year or so I might get the PW 2200 or a SVS.

Dan

7. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I would think you would be better off with a WARMER amp for Paradigm. Rotel is warmer than Anthem. B&K or Parasound might be the better route for an amp.

8. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

The thing about Parasound in Canada, is that it's WAY overpriced. The HCA-1000A retails for something like $1200-1250, and in Canada the Rotel RB-1070 retails for $1000. I got my rotel for $860 CDN ($537.5 American) and the lowest my Parasound dealer would go on the 1000A was $1125 ($703 American).

I'm not too sure about B&K, because I couldn't find a dealer here in Edmonton, but Dan might have better luck in Vancouver.

9. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

There is no reason to trade your RSX 1055! Keep it and get an AMP to go with it. The RSX 1055 and RSp 1066 have the same processor in it plus you have a tuner. I am sorry I did not go that route. The 1055 is cheaper and has a tuner with the same proceesor as the RSP 1066. So keep it and add an AMP. No you can do some BI-amping to the fronts (60's)to get more power to them. Now you will have 10 channnels instead of 5. So the RSX 1055 & RMB 1075 you will have 10 channels to play with. Getting an RSX 1065 will cost almost the same as RSX 1055 & RMB 1075. You could always just get AN 2 channel AMP to power your fronts also.
    Get the RB 1070 or RB 1080 to power your fronts and use the receiver that you have to power the rest.
    Lot's of options but keep the RSX 1055 and add to that.