Anthem MCA2 as a sub amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Leitch, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

I am building a pair of 18x18x24 DPL12 based subs and am debating an Anthem MCA 2 as a sub amp (it is relatively inexpensive, and is usable for a lot of other applications). Anyone see a problem with this? Am I better off going to a pro amp (QSC or Samson S1000) or even a venerable Adcom 555 (the Adcom 5803 looks good, but pretty expensive).

My main reluctance for a pro amp is the fan... never mind I wonder if a lot of the power ratings are suspect.

TIA. M.

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that your best option would be a pro amp of some kind of cheap sub amp. It seems kind of like a waste of the Anthem's capabilities to be running it just for the lower end, and the same goes for the Adcom. Either get a pro amp (most good pro amps have quiet fans, as you would not even notice them from more than a foot away) or some sort of high-powered old 2 channel amp from someone like Carver. As for the power ratings on Pro amps, they are usually not exaggerated, as they are made to pump out juice and nothing but juice, as sound quality is usually secondhand. But with subs, since the frequency of the sound coming out is so low, it is harder to discern the sonic shortcomings of the amp that is powering the sub. Either that, or you can look for some used plate amps to power your subs.

3. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

Thx Chung... I think my primary issue is money... if the anthem costs the same as a pair of plate amps or, say, a Samson S1000, why not go with the Anthem? The plate amps seem to offer no benefits (I do not need any of the controls)... the pro amps may offer more wattage and gain controls, but my room is very quiet for two channel and fan noise may be very noticeable (even transformer noise can be).

M.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I agree with Chung. The Anthem is a great 2 channel amp. I was looking at this with the MCA5 for a 7.1 system. (Stayed with Acurus though.) Personally, I see it as not being used to the full extent of its capability being used as a sub amp.

5. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

ebay has a nice SAE A502 with the following Specs:

200 Watts RMS per channel @8 ohms
    300 Watts RMS per channel @4 ohms
    600 Watts RMS per channel @4 ohms Bridged Mono
    THD 0.025%
    Weight 48 lbs.