What's new

Anthem D1 / AVM30 differences (1 Viewer)

Glenn*L

Auditioning
Hi guys ...yeah I'm a NOOB! But I'm in a fast pace learning curve on AV equipment.
I've been searching the web for a couple of months now and am looking to put together a decent system for my family/ home theater room, and get rid of my Sony Dream system!
I've decided on this combo for the so far....Anthem AVM30 with the A5 amp combined with the Definitive Technologies Mythos One speaker system. Including the Mytho's one towers X 2, Mythos 3 center and Mythos 4 for surrounds. Also the Definitive Techs SuperCube 1 sub.
From all the reviews it was gonna be either the AVM30 or D1, the Rotel 1098, Parasound C2, or Yamaha RX-Z9.
I've settled on the Anthem line because of the features, sound quality, and upgradability.( Which is important to me!)

Now....hear is a couple of questions. Is the D1 worth the extra 2K, especially if I upgrade my components later? Is the sound quality of the D1 really that much better?

Does anyone have experience with the Mythos speaker system? They have got awesome reviews. VERY IMPORTANT....are they good for pure audio too? Any other suggestions in this price range?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance!
Glenn

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Someone had posted a similar question of comparing the AVM30 to the D1 in another forum. I pasted some excerpts of what was written there:

...seriously though, you may as well have asked if the base 6 cylinder Ford Mustang - can beat the V8 Mustang Bullet in a race.

I don't know how long the AVM30 upgrade path will be, but I'm sure it would be fairly long going by history. Part of my decision to go with the D1 was that, technically - it has 2 processors to the 30's- 1. Further down the road, whose path will end first? Who knows... but I feel better about having the D1.

The real question of- is it worth it? I can only say that's totally up to you. But listening to them both is key. I wouldn't have made the decision w/out having listened to the D1 first...

If your wallet and/or ears don't agree, then go for the (AVM-30)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Here's my answer to the same question in another forum:

The other main difference is that the D1 has two DSP processors (double the processing power) and up-sampling of all digital inputs. The big advantage to me of the dual DSP's would be the extra power available for future upgrades. When Dolby intro'd PLIIx, it required either: no chance for firmware upgrade due to lack of DSP power; or change out of DSP to be able to implement (AFAIK). Having this extra DSP would help to alleviate some concern about future upgrade paths.

The upsampling is advertised to improve sound quality on standard (non hi-rez) sources. And to my ears it's really working. Listening to the difference between the analog inputs (with no upsampling) and the digital input with upsampling is like night and day. Imaging is much more precise, soundstage is much wider, better high end clarity with less "edge". AND, the upsampling is also working on regular DD and DTS signals, and the D1 is the first pre/pro on the market doing that. And to me it was a nice surprise, because to my ears, this is also making a nice improvement to something I was taking for granted...

Nick from Anthem told me that the D1 is the "hot-rod" version of the AVM20/AVM30 people where asking for. The digital stage was totally redone and is presently second-to-none on the market. The analog stage is almost the same, with some minor changes. The D1 is to be used with the digital connection to flex all his muscles, and the analog stage was not their priorities. With the upcoming firewire connection (i-link), the awesome digital stage of the D1 will then be used at full capacities. The analog stage of the AVM20/30 was already really good and almost totally transparent, so there was no need to change it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Here's a quote (Gordon McGregor) I did found in another popular forum. I know the implementation is also really important, but for those interested in specs, this sums it all pretty well.

"DACs AK4395, used in D1, are day-and-night in comparison with AK4382, used in AVM20, the first ones are in the top line together with the best multi-bit delta sigma DACs, and used in such stuff as Tag AVR192, for example ... therefore they sound significantly better then just a bit above average AK4382 ... ADC are top-notch AK5394A, those are used in Lynx Two B (one of the best professional sound cards) and also are one of the best if not the best available ADCs ... therefore they will sound better then used in AVM20 AK5383, the last ones are 24/96kHz and a bit worse then the newer AK5394A ... op amps are OPA2132P vs OPA2134 in AVM20, those are a bit worse (IMO) concerning the sound quality, but in D1 they used the special low offset voltage version of OPA2132 by purpose, I don't know exactly what is it, but can assume that they got rid of the coupling electrolytic capacitors in the path, it means in such circuit OPA2132P can sound even better then OPA2134 with average level of electrolytic coupling capacitors. Two DSP56367 vs one only make the DSP process more flexible for D1, it looks like one DSP makes formats decoding, and another one - post processing ... then it is better again in D1. And finally - AD1896 can significantly improve the sounding of D1 in comparison with AVM20, it means that D1 is a REAL upgrade vs AVM20 ..."

And 2 reviews of the D1:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...atement_d1.htm

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...04-part-1.html

And some details about the upsampling:

http://www.soundstage.com/gettingtec...ical200408.htm

Glenn*L

Auditioning
Hey Tom and Levesque,
Thank you for your very "Valuable" insights!!
My main concerns were sound quality, upgradability and obsolescence. It sounds to me like the D1 is future ready other than the hardware firewire/HDMI upgrade which will be released soon! ;)

Also would it denigrate the sound quality using the MCA50 amp instead of the P5?

Like I said, as time and cash allow, I want to set things up for future upgrades. But for now my proposed budget is at 10K.

So that being said, time to make purchase my first component. Is there a authorized dealer that has the D1 at discounted pricing ?

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Glenn,

I'm pretty sure that the D1 will sound good with any amp - Levesque has me convinced to go to P5/P2 combination ;) (but I have certain requirements that I must meet - check out the D1/AVM30 thread in this forum)

Currently I'm using 2 MCA20's and an MCA30 for 7 channel. I would say that this is probably very comparable to the A5/A2 combo.

As for dealers, I'm up in Canada, so I'm not too familiar, but perhaps one of the American brethren Anthem owners can chime in.

Glenn*L

Auditioning
Thanks Tom!
I would love to get the P2/P5 combo....but I need to buy speakers too! LOL :laugh:

I'll check out the D1/AVM30 thread, its on this recievers/separates/amps forum...right?

That was great info from Levesque.....quite the intel!
I've read some of his previous post in my research on the web and he comes across as a very knowledgeable guy.

I just need some breaks on these prices....anybody in California have a lead on a kind and empathetic dealer/buddy?!?!?!!?!

Levesque

Supporting Actor
"Also would it denigrate the sound quality using the MCA50 amp instead of the P5?"

Glenn.

Not at all. The A5 and MCA50 are more then enough for almost everyone, and are both really good amps to be paired with the D1 or the AVM30. No need to go with the P5 in regular rooms with efficient speakers. Except if you are power-crazy like me! :D

Here's a good review of the A5 and A2 from Kris Deering, paired with the D1:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-11-2004.html

Glenn*L

Auditioning
"Except if you are power-crazy like me!"

Levesque,
Oh, I'm power crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy alright.

I know the MCA50 is around 2K U.S.and the A5 2 1/2K U.S.

I'm afraid to ask but what is the P5 price????:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks