Anthem Channel 5 amplifier

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve*MH, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Steve*MH

Steve*MH Stunt Coordinator

Just checking again to see if there is anyone out there with any communication or connections with Anthem reps or dealers that has heard anything about the upcoming Anthem Statement line amplifier, the Channel 5. I was interested to see that SGHT ranked it the best sound at CEDIA this year in their Feb. issue. Any rumors or facts would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of Anthem followers out there, anyone have any contacts that know more info on this amplifier--specs, availability, etc.
    Thanks.

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Steve,

I'm told that Anthem will not release the new amp until the new pre/pro is ready for release. The new pre/pro is (from what I've been told by my Anthem rep) undergoing a redesign based on feedback from CEDIA. IOW, dealers told Anthem that they have little interest in selling something that looks like and appears to be an AVM20 on steroids. Apparently, Sonic Frontiers took this to heart and a redesign is under way. Regards.

BTW, I'm not sure how it was rated best sound by anyone at CEDIA. The Anthem display at CEDIA was a static display.

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Bill,

4. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

Michael, the Feb/03 SGHT reports Steven Stone as follows:

"The best sound I heard at CEDIA was in the Paradigm-Sonic Frontiers room. Paradigm's Reference Studio speakers, driven by their new Anthem Channel 5 power amps, produced impressive volume levels with excellent detail and definition. At approximately $1000/channel, these amps are as attractive financially as they are sonically. Another new addition, Anthem's Director A/V preamplifier-processor, was ergonomically complete and sonically sweet. At $6,000, it should give other pre-pros some serious competition."

It seems your dealer was giving you the straight goods.

Wayne

5. Steve*MH

Bill,

Any idea of what kind of re-design is taking place? I hope that perhaps a TFT screen (as is becoming popular now) or other features are added, such as additional programmable channels, ie the new Parasound Halo SSPs. I felt the same way about the look of the Director from the CEDIA reports--needs to be different and stand out from the AVM-20.

Also Bill, do you know anything about the Channel 5 as far as specs, etc. from your rep? Is the amp basically done--just waiting for the SSP? Any info on Channel 5 would be great--whatever your rep would share. Any idea of release dates?

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Michael,

I'm saying I was there and it was static display only. Perhaps they demoed in another location?

The redesign is reportedly from the ground up.

Steve,

My understanding is that the amp is ready to go but will only be released in conjunction with the new pre/pro.

7. Steve*MH

Bill,

I believe the Channel 5 has two power cords. Do you know if they are two 15 amp or two 20 amp cords required? Thought maybe you might remember from the CEDIA show--do you know if the Channel 5 has undergone many changes since CEDIA as well?
    Thanks.