What's new

Anthem AVM70 Overview (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Spec of Tech gives an overview of the new Anthem AVM70. Some interesting info for those [like me] considering this unit.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Thanks, John. Barrett from those videos is actually in the same city as me.

I'm in the market for a new receiver or separates. Anthem is a Canadian company and available locally so I'm considering something along the lines of the AVM70 or the MRX1140. Not to threadjack your post, but do you have any suggestions that could work for me? Here's a link to my request thread. Thanks!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks, John. Barrett from those videos is actually in the same city as me.

I'm in the market for a new receiver or separates. Anthem is a Canadian company and available locally so I'm considering something along the lines of the AVM70 or the MRX1140. Not to threadjack your post, but do you have any suggestions that could work for me? Here's a link to my request thread. Thanks!

I answered in that thread. I'm keeping a close eye on this Anthem unit to replace my Marantz AV7702mkii at some point.

Brian L

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I answered in that thread. I'm keeping a close eye on this Anthem unit to replace my Marantz AV7702mkii at some point.

John, have you been watching any of the Anthem roll out threads at AVS and elsewhere? It ain't pretty.

I have a 720 and am not really interested in an upgrade at this point, but I am keeping an eye on things to see if there will be any enhancements to ARC Genesis for x20/AV60 users.

I love ARC, and for me it has worked better than any version of Audyssey that I have tried. And I love the usability of Anthem in general. Things like virtual inputs that allow tremendous flexibility in input configuration, easy access to channel trims w/o the need to menu dive....they may seem like small things but for me that greatly enhance usability.

But judging from the numerous threads at AVS, this has been painful for early adopters. There was a beta version of Genesis that was needed for the new hardware, but it was pulled meaning that new users could not run ARC. They have now reposted the beta, along with a FW update for the new units, but users are still fighting through some issues.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've just started researching the new Anthems and I like them so far, but I haven't seen the threads you're talking about Brian. I may be putting off my receiver or separates upgrade since I spent more on projection than I planned or I may not stretch as much as I thought I might. Still, that MRX1140 is quite intriguing.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've just started researching the new Anthems and I like them so far, but I haven't seen the threads you're talking about Brian. I may be putting off my receiver or separates upgrade since I spent more on projection than I planned or I may not stretch as much as I thought I might. Still, that MRX1140 is quite intriguing.
My main hesitation is that is an awful lot of money for a receiver.

Brian L

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am sure that things will get sorted out eventually, but I would recommend a visit AVS.

Unfortunately, there are several parallel, overlapping threads going covering the new hardware, previous hardware, Genesis ARC....for whatever reason, that was the case with the x20/AV60 generation too. it makes it a pain to keep up.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
John, have you been watching any of the Anthem roll out threads at AVS and elsewhere? It ain't pretty.

I have a 720 and am not really interested in an upgrade at this point, but I am keeping an eye on things to see if there will be any enhancements to ARC Genesis for x20/AV60 users.

I love ARC, and for me it has worked better than any version of Audyssey that I have tried. And I love the usability of Anthem in general. Things like virtual inputs that allow tremendous flexibility in input configuration, easy access to channel trims w/o the need to menu dive....they may seem like small things but for me that greatly enhance usability.

But judging from the numerous threads at AVS, this has been painful for early adopters. There was a beta version of Genesis that was needed for the new hardware, but it was pulled meaning that new users could not run ARC. They have now reposted the beta, along with a FW update for the new units, but users are still fighting through some issues.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check those threads out but the overview presented in my OP basically says the same thing. The AVM70 is definitely not fully baked just yet. I'm surprised Anthem released the unit for sale when its specs aren't even available on their own website and ARC Genesis isn't working at all. I'm keeping my eye on the AVM70 but wouldn't buy it today.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My main hesitation is that is an awful lot of money for a receiver.

You're not wrong about that. I am probably a ways off from pulling the trigger on a receiver which will give me more time to evaluate things (and I still need to figure out what I'm going to do with my speakers).

I am sure that things will get sorted out eventually, but I would recommend a visit AVS.

Unfortunately, there are several parallel, overlapping threads going covering the new hardware, previous hardware, Genesis ARC....for whatever reason, that was the case with the x20/AV60 generation too. it makes it a pain to keep up.

I'll check it out.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Unless there are specific new features/enhancements you definitely want from the AVM-70, I'd recommend just buying a used AVM-60 for ~1/2 the price (of the AVM-70) instead. Just make sure you have some reasonable guarantee w/ the purchase and enough time to test it out thoroughly in case of issues, especially since Anthem warranties are non-transferable.

You can also consider open box or "scratch and dent" from Crutchfield for a reasonable discount and retain Anthem's warranty coverage.

Otherwise, expect some wait for issues to be worked out. Seems a common problem w/ nearly all new prepros (and probably many AVRs) nowadays...

_Man_

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Unless there are specific new features/enhancements you definitely want from the AVM-70, I'd recommend just buying a used AVM-60 for ~1/2 the price (of the AVM-70) instead.
This is exactly where I am in my thought process. If Anthem would release the specs for the AVM70 it would be very helpful. I've been checking their site daily. :rolleyes:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is exactly where I am in my thought process. If Anthem would release the specs for the AVM70 it would be very helpful. I've been checking their site daily. :rolleyes:
It does look like a nice unit. I didn't know about the glitches. I think that's a common issue with the smaller manufacturers' processors. I was surprised to see a big empty hole on the specs page.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Not sure why it's still that way, but based on this announcement, I wouldn't expect any noticeable improvement in audio quality from AVM-60 to AVM-70, except maybe in the independent dual sub config (for those who might actually benefit from that) and support for additional channels (for upto 9.2.6 instead of 7.2.4) w/ pro(?) versions of Atmos and DTS:X (and IMAX) -- call me skeptical about those additional pro surround modes making any real diffs in most cases...

Seems like the vast majority of the diffs are in UI and features like audio streaming (support for Airplay, Chromecast and Roon instead of DTS Play-fi)... unless you pony up for the AVM-90, and even then, no idea if most would notice much, if any, diff in audio quality.

Sounds like they're claiming the audio calibration could be improved (somewhat) w/ the new mic, but might be very small diff. IF the improvement is actually significant, maybe Anthem will make it available as an accessory sold separately for existing customers as well -- I also noticed some selling their ARC kit (w/ old mic) on the used market, so maybe that will happen w/ this as well.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks