What's new

Anthem AVM20 sub level questions....... (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
When playing a CD in my CD player via it's digital outputs I noticed a jump in the sub level when going from "stereo" mode to any surround mode. I made sure that the level is set the same for all modes, but still notice the boost in level. BTW, this also happens if I play a CD on my DVD player.

Perhaps I should mention that in the setup menu, I have all speakers set to read 75db on my Radio Shack meter using the AVM20's test tones.

I did a test to make sure it was the sub level and not the additional contribution from the other speakers. Sure enough, with only the sub playing, there is a 4db jump in the sub level when switching from "stereo" to any surround mode.

Anyone else notice this?

This brings up another question. In the owner's manual, there is a section that describes being able to adjust the different channel levels on the fly using the remote or the front panel. I have no problem doing that.

But, it also says that the channel levels selected are memorized for the different surround modes and for the 6 channel input. It says this is so that you don't have to constantly tweek the channel levels for different sources.

I don't understand exactly what they are talking about here. I thought it meant I could set the sub level (via the remote or front panel) at one setting for stereo, and other setting for surround modes. But it doesn't seem to work that way.

For example, I set the sub level for "stereo" to 0db, it will also be at 0db for all the surround modes (albeit with the 4db increase in level mentioned earlier). If I lower the sub level on any surround mode to -4db to compensate for the increase (again, via the remote or front panel, NOT the setup menu), it will then read -4db for the "stereo" mode as well as all other surround modes.

Also, whatever sub level I choose, it stays the same for all inputs except the 6 channel inputs. It seems the 6 channel input is the only one that can be set independent of the other inputs.

To summerize, my questions are:

1. Anyone else notice the increase in sub level when switching from "stereo" mode to any surround mode?

2. What does Anthem mean when they say the AVM20 memorizes the different channel levels for each surround mode and the 6 channel inputs?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

JimmyK

PS - I'm using v2.09.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jimmy,

2. What does Anthem mean when they say the AVM20 memorizes the different channel levels for each surround mode and the 6 channel inputs?
As far as I can tell, there are 4 separate channel level groupings. There's one for the DTS modes, one for the Dolby modes (DD, DPL, etc.), one for the 6 channel input, and one for any 2 channel mode (stereo, DPL II, AnthemLogic, etc.).

It would seem that if the DSP modes could have their own channel levels, you could compensate for the issue you commented on in your first question.

Michael

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Michael! I always appreciate your help!

When I get home, I'll try different level settings for the different groups you described.

I'll let you know how it goes.

It would have been nice if EACH mode had it's own memory since the level difference I'm experiencing is when I go from "stereo" to any other multichannel mode.

BTW, have you noticed this sub level difference on your AVM20?

Thanks again!

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks