Anthem AVM20 pre/pro or Rotel 1095 amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob-N, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Hey all,

Ok, due to some fortunate pricing and other factors, bottom line is that my out of pocket expense will be the same for each of these two highly recommended units. I won't be able to buy both at this time due to budgetary constraints.

My current system as follows:

Outlaw 950 (minimal hiss)
    Rotel 985mk2 5ch/110W amp (in the shop!)
    Panny RV31 DVD
    B&W CDM1NT mains
    B&W 600 S3 surrounds
    B&W LCR6 S2 center
    Sony 32" analog Wega

The CDM1NTs will be replaced in the next year with a pair of N805s as well as the LCR6 center to an HTM2. Other items will be upgraded to "who knows what" much later.

I'd like to jump up the food chain to the AVM20:
    - great feature set and sound
    - great looks (yes, I'm a bit vain)
    - great reviews
    - proven upgradability so far
    - good customer service (even though I don't own it)
    - I have been told that pre/pros make the most significant difference in sound (after speakers) and before amps.

I'm really considering the Rotel amp because of a few things:
    - my current amp was bought used and would like coverage with a warranty.
    - with the N805's coming, I have read that the Nautilus line needs lots of power to bring out their best qualities.
    - great pricing for new unit (but only two left as I type!)

Any opinions would be great, but please keep the discussions to these pieces of equipment. I am locked into really good pricing on these two pieces and won't be considering any others.

Thanks, Bob

2. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

Since you have the Outlaw processor, you should consider the purchase of Rotel amp. Good amp is good for a long time. You may wait and see what happens with all the formats. Outlaw has all the latest as of now.

3. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Ah yes, good point. Another pro for the amp to consider.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

4. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

I am a happy AVM-20 owner. I have not heard the Outlaw. Having said that, if in your situation my thought process would be to listen closely to to the current reproduction of my system and consider my level of satisfaction with the overall sound. Base it on those factors that are important to you. In my case it would be 1) do the instruments sound natural/accurate 2) is voice (male & female) accurate 3) is there a presence to the sound that helps with the illusion of "being there" 4) is there a quiet/black background that allows the soundstage to develop, or, 1) does the system have the dynamic range required in the room and for your tastes/listening levels 2) does the sound harden at those levels 3)does the quality of the sound decrease with higher levels.This are the first questions that come to mind and no doubt there are many more for each group.

The first group of questions pertain mainly to the effect on reproduction of the pre/pro while the second pertain to amplification. Grade your answers to questions of this nature, consider you future upgrade plans and you should be in a position to make an informed decision on which piece to buy.

Wayne

5. Amir

Amir Agent

what are you looking for? Better HT or music. I do not think going to Anthem will increase your performance in HT by a lot. Changing the Amp will. Also consider the Parasound line. There are good buy out there. If music is what you want. Buy a good two channel preamp maybe even a tube amp. They make big difference and IMHO there is no comparison between a good 2 channel pre and AVM-20 for stereo sound. You will probably spend a lot less keeping the Outlaw and buying a good pre.

Good Luck
    Amir

P.S. I auditioned the rotel 5x~110 amp and did not noticed a considerable improvement in caparison to the receiver's internal amp (Denon 2800) but the Parasound 5x220 really made a difference.

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Bob,

I would build from the amp up and then decide what you want to do from there. An amp can be a long term purchase and if you already have the pre-pro in place, then a solid, powerful amplifer would be my personal choice in this situation.

You may even want to look in the used market and find something that fits your criteria.

Charles

7. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I have the AVM-20 (love that thing!) and RMB-1095/1090 amps. The 1090 powers the mains (2x380w, DM630s soon to be N804) and the 1095 the center (NTHM2) surrounds (DS6) and rears (shitty CSW sats). The 1095 is solid and powerfull. Dynamics are beautiful especially for the price. I love it and the 1090 and and thrilled with the sound of the B&W/AVM-20/1095/1090 combination

Marc

8. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Amir, unfortunately, I can't go with two systems due to space and lack of $$$. My system is going to have to pull double duty. Looked at Parasound also but got turned off since their main distribution is by Circuit City.
    Chas, I was leaning towards the amp for the past week but I'm also monitoring the other AVM20 thread and am craving that unit too.
    [edit] Marc, cool. Very similar system I'm going for except I'm a bookshelf/good sub kinda guy, but looks like we've got the same tastes in equipment.
    I'm leaning towards the amp right now......[​IMG]
    Bob

9. Amir

Amir Agent

Bob,
    If you have to make a choice between a new processor and Amp. then I would agree with Chas to get a new amp. It will make a great change in you system. What are you looking to get out of the AVM-20 that you currently do not have with the Outlaw? What ever you decide, TRY THEM OUT IN YOUR HOME.
    I would not judge a product by where it is sold. If you check out the post you can get a good idea about each manufacturer and their quality.
    Amir

10. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Amir, problem with the chain stores is that I have to buy it in order for me to try it out. I don't think CC would be too happy with me buying the unit and returning it under the guise of a "home" demo. Did it once with a receiver, didn't like the feeling knowing it was a demo.
    I am under the assumption that the 1095 will provide a noticeable increase in quality. However, I certainly could take their demo unit home this weekend and try it out from my local HT store. But at this time, I'm taking it on faith and based on familiarity with the 985mk2 amp which I do like. I'm just worried it's not enough for my future N805s.
    I normally give the same advice, but realize that not all HT stores are good and nor do they have as good a demo/trade-in/warranty/service policy as the one I frequent. Kinda reminds me of shopping for a new car at an unfamiliar dealership.....[​IMG]
    Bob

11. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Parasound is sold a circuit city?? I doubt that! but if its something new im shocked[​IMG] I bought mine from a specialty ht store.
    Bob

12. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Parasound is sold by Good Guys, not Circuit City. The also sell the beloved Denon 5803 [​IMG]
    I just went from a MC-1 to the AVM-20 and believe it to be superior for music and HT. Lex owners may disagree, Logic 7 is excellent but not the holy grail. The AVM-20 is flat out a great piece for everything I ask it to do.
    I'd get the AVM-20 and worry about more power later. Look at a good 2 or 3 channel amp and use the Rotel for the surrounds later. Great amps can be found generally at excellent prices. Just my .02
    James Elvick