1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anthem AVM20 or Krell Showcase?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BrianSmith, Jun 5, 2003.

1. BrianSmith

BrianSmith Stunt Coordinator

I can get the Krell for $3K. I was about to buy a used Anthem but I found out the warranty is not transferable.

Can someone email me an Anthem dealer that discounts? I don't have a dealer w/in 300 miles!

What can I expect to pay for a new anthem?

2. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Always buy your Pre Pro based on its "analog" 2 channel music abilities.

After all it will be years before multichannel music is even close, and the rest is just movie folly.

I know a Krell Dealer who may do better than that. Where do you live?

Also The Bryston SP1.7 is (or should be in the running).

3. BrianSmith

I finally, after much research, have decided on the Krell Showcase. The final decision came today when I called up an Anthem dealer and asked the price on an Anthem AVM-20. He said he hasn't sold one in 3 months. He stopped selling them because he said the 50% of his customers were having problems, mostly sofware glitches.

He did not sell Krell but said it was very stable.

I'll report on what I think when I get it.

-Brian

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Odd, there were some glitches along the way, but 2.09 has been very stable for weeks now. Oh well, either way you are getting a damn good processor Brian...congrats!

5. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

6. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

I am very interested to hear how the Krell Showcase is working out for you, as I'm currently considering the same question.

I always figured the Anthem AVM-20 would be the perfect match for my Paradigm Active 40 speakers, but have been hesitant to spend big bucks on a processor while the technology is still evolving so rapidly.

But due to the recent trade-in specials offered on the Krell processors, I'm now giving the Krell Showcase some strong consideration.

Feature-wise, the Krell has everything I really need, so the question comes down to sound quality and operational/ergonomic quirks. I'm especially interested in how well the Krell locks onto digital signals. Are there any long delays or signal drops as you navigate DVD menu's or as CD's change tracks?

Thanks,

Cary

7. BrianSmith

Actually I never ended up buying a processor. I ended up trading in my Paradigm V2 speakers. I am waiting on delivery of the new V3 Reference series.

This gives me a few weeks to think about what to get. I'm constantly back and forth but I'm now leaning towards a Anthem AVM-20 and MCA-50.

I like the fact that the Anthem is upgradeable. I also like the fact that the matching amplifier is much cheaper than the matching Krell Amp. $2.1K Vs $4.5K. My only hesitation is the fact that the Anthem seems very buggy and the preamp section may not be as good as the Krell. Having not owned either, I'm not sure. Looks like the Anthem may be the way to go for now.

8. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

Who's to say that you can't mix & match a Krell pre-pro with an Anthem amp?

Victor

9. Prathavan V

Prathavan V Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

My $0.02, but I think it might be better phrased as "the Anthem SEEMED very buggy". I'm not trying to suggest that there will be no future bugs, how the heck would I know, but it does seem to me that there have been no bugs since the new boards and the new software has come out.

FWIW, I love my Anthem MCA combo. I'm pretty satisfied that it's my point of diminishing returns based on my wallet and my ears, your point may be different.

10. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim

11. BrianSmith

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Is their any concrete information on what 2.10 will include?

-Brian

12. ChuckE

ChuckE Extra

Chris Helflen, several days ago I read a complete thread on the Fosgate processesor. It appears that this is the same unit as the Outlaw, Sherbourn and Atlantic Technology unit by Easttech. Not in the same class. With that being said, I am in the market for a processor. I am still hoping that the Anthem v2.10 is the one.

Best of luck. Chuck

13. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Brian,