Anthem AVM20 or Krell Showcase?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BrianSmith, Jun 5, 2003.

1. BrianSmith

BrianSmith Stunt Coordinator

I am deciding between an Anthem AVM20 or Krell Showcase 7.1. I can get them for roughly the same amount of money.

I like the Krell's multi-channel EQ function. On the AVM I like the Analog DSP function for SACD and DVD-A. I don't know how much I would use that function however as my Denon 2900 has bass management. Also in the AVM's favor is it seems to be highly upgradeable while the Krell does not. I don't know if I can live w/out the Krells EQ however!

Help me decide! The Krell or Anthem and WHY?

-Brian

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Brian,

I tend to steer towards "sound" over "features", so if you believe that your system will sound better because of the EQ feature in the Krell processor, then I would probably go with the Krell. OTOH, if an audition of both produced the same sound quality, maybe the features of the AVM-20 might be more important to you.

Michael

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Brian,

I've had both in my system. While I *slightly* preferred the sound of the Krell, I chose to represent Anthem and not Krell (I'm a custom installer). The Anthem has a much better feature set than the Krell, Anthem has already proven that they will offer software upgrades when possible and the darned Krell is hot enough to cook eggs on. Other than the pretty faceplate of the Krell I believe that the Anthem is a much better value. Of course, YMMV. Good luck.

4. BrianSmith

Do you guys know if the Krell does any AD conversion? Can you digitize the SACD analog inputs and apply EQ, BM, etc?

5. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Brian.

I use the Anthem AVM20 with my Denon DVD-3800. I let the Anthem do all the bass management and deactivate the BM in the 3800. The Anthem give me alot more flexibility over the BM then the Denon.

I don't think the 2900 will give you the same BM the Anthem will be able to give you. The 2900 gives you only rudimentary BM, without alot of room to play. The Anthem gives you more options to tweak the BM to your liking.

6. BrianSmith

Thanks for the reply. As far as BM all I need for the Denon to do is have an 80HZ cutoff. I'd rather have the BM done digitally.

What other BM options does the AV20 give?

7. Michael Mohrmann

Brian,

8. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

FWIW, when I was shopping for a pre/pro I was looking at the B&K Ref 50. Anyway, I went to this shop that sold B&K, Krell and Arcam. The salesman told me he'd get the B&K Ref 50 ($3k)over the Krell Showcase ($4k), but if he really had his way he'd get the Arcam AV8 ($5k). I don't know if the guy was full of crap, but I found it interesting he'd push a $3000 pre/pro over a $4000 one.
    BTW, I went with an Anthem AVM20 and never looked back.[​IMG]

9. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

Brian:

I don't know why you would want to post-process a direct-stream-digital SACD signal. One of the principle advantages of the DSD modulation scheme is that it is free of the quantization errors inherent in any A/D, D/A conversion process. Post processing the SACD signal will corrupt it and you will lose much of the sonic benefits of Sony's encoding scheme. Before you spend money on a device that digitally post-processes an SACD signal it might be good to read up on the DSD modulation technique and decide if you really want to go down that path. FWIW I've heard the Krell and the Anthem and they both sound great, so I'd go with the cheaper Anthem.

MT

10. BrianSmith

Hi Mike,

I don't want to digitize an analog signal. I talked to both Krell and Anthem today. Anthem recommended using the BM in their processor instead of the source device. I can't see why?

Krell said that in a side by side comparision the Showcase would "blow the Anthem out of the water".

11. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

Brian:

I can't believe the people at Krell didn't recommend the Anthem. Seriously, if you do buy the Krell I'm sure you will be happy, but make sure you put the unit in a well ventilated place.

12. BrianSmith

No surprise what Krell said.

Here is how I see it.

Krell Showcase 7.1

For:

Parametric EQ
    Sonics

Against:

Price
    Upgradability

Anthem AVM-20

For:

Price
    Upgrade options
    BM (if you want to digitize analog signals)
    May be upgrade to Firewire

Against:

No EQ
    Sounds as good as Krell?

13. Michael Mohrmann

Brian,

14. BrianSmith

I was quoting Krell verbatim. Don't give me a hard time for their comment. ;-)

15. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

16. Michael Mohrmann

Brian,

Despite the bit of sarcasm on my part, I am actually serious in my suggestion. I sense that you believe that the Krell will sound as good (or better) than the AVM-20. Add that to the fact that the Krell comes with the multi-channel EQ feature that prompted this comment from you:

"I don't know if I can live w/out the Krells EQ however!

If you get the Krell, the only lingering doubt you might have is whether you are missing some of the features on the AVM-20. If you get the AVM-20, you will have the lingering doubt about its sound quality in comparison to the Krell and the lack of an EQ feature.

Of course, an audition of both in your system would remove most of those doubts. Short of that, I sense you leaning towards the Krell.

Michael

17. BrianSmith

As features stand right now, today, I would buy the Krell as their is no single feature on the AVM that betters the Krell that I need.

My only reservation, and it is large one, is the fact that the Anthem is so easily and constantly upgradeable. In fact, they have another update coming in July.

The Krell for sure won't have firewire and it doesn't look like it has much upgrade potential.

This is a LOT of money to me that is why I wan't to make the best decision.

18. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Has anybody ever considered the processors by:

Thule
    Myrayd
    Fosgate
    Primare
    Bel Canto
    ?
    Just curious. Sorry

19. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

20. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Brian. I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago. I went for the Anthem. Upgradability, future-proof.

Let your ears be the judge. Try to listen to both in-house (my dealer let my try everything in-house...) if you can. Don't buy something on the word of a poster that you don't even know anything about.

Bring them home. Then decide. If you can't, find a dealer that let you make a good listening session. Bring some CD's that you know pretty well.

Don't spend thousands on the word of a poster, please.