Anthem AVM20 or Integra Research RDC7

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SavoyR, Sep 13, 2002.

1. SavoyR

SavoyR Agent

I've narrowed my decsion down to the Integra Research RDC7 or the Anthem AVM20 between these two which one would you guys pick?

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Wow, tough call! I would imagine that the owners of each processor would steer you towards theirs, because that is what they own. Is there any way you can audition the two in your own system at home? It doesn't even have to be side by side, which would be difficult to do unless you have some very cooperative dealers in your area, so that you can get a feel for each processor's sound quality, features and ease of use.

Good luck, but in my opinion, choosing either processor would be a good decision.

Michael

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Prior to the RDC-7's recent upgrade (which addressed the silly crossover issue) I would have easily said the AVM-20. However, now they're much more in-line with one another.
    Do what Michael suggests. Audition them and go with what sounds best for the best $$ (assuming money is an issue).

4. SavoyR

SavoyR Agent

thanks guys but there's no where in my area where I can audition them

5. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

SavoyR,
    I really have wanted the RDC7 since it came out but it was a little too much money at the time. Finally this summer after much thought I bought the Anthem. I did not get to listen to either at home and I bought the Anthem because it was about 1500 dollars cheaper than what I would have paid for the RDC7. I don't think there was this much difference between the two especially now that my Anthem has been upgraded to include all the newest formats. It is a great unit. I have no regrets and if you have the money the Integra may be the way to go but I figured I would be very happy with the Anthem for a long time and be able to put the extra money toward some other toy. I understand how tough this decision is and like the others you won't be disappointed in either unit.

Mike

6. Michael Mohrmann

Hi Camp,

"Prior to the RDC-7's recent upgrade (which addressed the silly crossover issue) I would have easily said the AVM-20."

Actually, I was thinking the exact opposite before the AVM-20's upgrade, because the RDC-7 had DPL II and DTS-ES, while the AVM-20 did not, and these seem to be the two DSP modes being requested with new processor purchases.

With the latest upgrade to the RDC-7, the crossover selections are 80Hz, 100Hz and 120Hz and it is a global crossover. So, the AVM-20 in its' "old" form still has a 40-160Hz global crossover with 10Hz increments. Whether the additional crossovers is an advantage to a particular system is unknown.

Michael

7. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I just don't get why either would go with a global cross-over. I'm also stumped as to the direction in which the bass crossovers on the RDC-7 went. Isn't this supposed to be a higher end product? Shouldn't they have gone the other way with 40-80 Hz crossovers in 10 Hz steps and adjustable slopes.

Does the new Anthem have adjustable slopes?

Dan

8. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

The crossover on the RDC-7 is actually 40/60/80/100/120, global. The AVM-20 does allow bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs which might be useful if you have a DVD-A/SACD player with no bass management. It's not clear how the RDC-7 handles 5.1 analog bass management - you might still need the Outlaw ICBM. The RDC-7 is also fully balanced, the AVM-20 is not.

9. Michael Mohrmann

Gordon,
    "The crossover on the RDC-7 is actually 40/60/80/100/120, global."
    Thanks for the correction. I wasn't quite sure what had changed on the RDC-7 crossovers, so I went to Integra Research's Press Release for the answer and it said the following:
    "The upgrade also provides a variable subwoofer crossover can be set at 80, 100, or 120Hz, except when using THX processing which fixes the low-pass filter at 80 Hz."
    Dan,
    "Does the new Anthem have adjustable slopes?"
    Nope, just a crossover range of 25-160Hz with 5Hz increments, selectable by speaker group, so you do not have to use a global crossover on the AVM-20 with v2.0 software.
    Michael

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer