What's new

Anthem AVM20-get off the $$$ (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Camp, if you look at the back of the AVM-20 in the online manual, the slot for 1394-PHAST interface is at the top right of the back panel...Right below the inputs for the AM/FM antenna's.

As for the display, this may sound weird, but in a brightly lit room, I can see the display fine. In a very dark room, the letters and numbers tend to blend into the background, making it hard to read the display in a pitch black room, however, I switch all video sources through the AVM-20 for my setup so I get an on-screen display for any source that uses S-Video or composite, so it really doesn't matter all that much.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Evan!

Have you played with various brightness settings to control the contrast in a dark room?

If I go with the Anthem I won't be using the OSD (my video sources are all component) so the display will need to be legible.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't let the display be a deal breaker for you Camp. It's not like I CAN'T see the display, only that it's not as easily readable as others I have seen. The problem with the contrast is if you dim the brightness, both the background and the actual letters and numbers dim by the same amount...so the CONTRAST between the two stays the same. I have tried it on the lowest setting and on the brightest and everything in between and I still think the display could have been done better. However, dimmer settings do work better in dark rooms, and vice versa.
Mainly most of the times I've noticed a problem reading the display I've been drunk, so YMMV:D

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,

Have you utilized the Avm-20's IR hub capability or programable triggers in any way?

Thanks,

Jeff

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, No I haven't. I don't plan to utilize these features until I move into my future home in early 2003. I do know there is a member over at AVS named Fitsman who uses the AVM-20 for this purpose using Niles IR equipment with no problems. Perhaps you can send him a PM if you are a member over there with specific questions.

Doug_Fr

Grip
I'm using the AVM 20 as an IR hub -- an Elan Z100 keypad is hooked up to the AVM IR input and an emitter goes out to my CD player. It works fine but its only set up for a few functions -- power, source, volume, preset radio stations. I plan on adding another IR in and another set of emitters out. The new IR will be a simple IR receiver and should transmit all commands from remote control.

I also used the 12v trigger for my Sherbourn 5/1500A. It worked fine. However, I now leave the Sherbourne on all the time on the advice of my dealer. Supposedly the constantly warm electronice sound better -- I can't tell the difference but I do it anyway.

And, just to put in my plug -- the unit is spectacular. I haven't taken advantage of a lot of stuff (6ch, balanced) but for music and movies it is spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks